Sunday, February 21, 2010

Laila's Hair

Laila's hair is an issue for me. I so desperately want to take good care of it, but I obviously have no experience with African hair. I have learned a lot over the last year, but it is a daily issue to deal with. One thing I didn't know until recently is about shedding. She loses hair just like I do, but instead of falling out like mine does, hers gets trapped. So, every week I have to take about 30 minutes to saturate it with detangler and get out all the old hair and other wonderful things that get trapped in there. She hates it and cries the whole time even with a sucker. Today was our time to do that again.
Here I am am detangling. She has a sucker and TV show, but she still cries a lot
More detangling
My girls have been wanting to do puffs on her, but I just haven't felt like her hair is long enough to make a substantial enough puff. Today, I gave in. So here you have my first work of art with Laila's hair other than the occasional headband that I will put on her. Most of the time we just go natural with a fro.
She looks so sad. I wish it wasn't so painful.
What do you think? I can't tell if it looks good or not. I need some opinions. I am looking forward to when she gets older to doing some braids for her.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. You did an amazing job. She looks adorable! I am surprised at how long her hair is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the puffs are way cuter than the fro! cute cute cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the puffs are super cute! When her hair is longer, I think you will really like braids. My friend who has a mixed race little daughter really likes braids and they last a really long time. Hang in there. Laila is blessed to have a mom who cares about her on the inside and the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the puffs! It will make her hair easier because once it's in puffs or braids, it will last a few days to a week. I am still learning about Hailey and Sid's hair and it's been 10 years! It is much more high maintenance than my hair. Plus, I've never been one to spend much time on my hair, it's wash and go, so it took me a while to get it down. Very time consuming! I SO wish it could be pain free and cry free! I feel your struggle!

    ReplyDelete