Saturday, February 27, 2010

Birthday Highlights

We normally have a big breakfast on Saturday mornings cooked mostly by Rick. Since his bday fell on a Sat., we decided to keep our big breakfast, but have some friends over to enjoy it with us. He made the bacon, Lauren made the scrambled eggs, I made sausage balls, garlic cheese grits, a breakfast danish, and coffee. We also had juice, fruit, and a sweet roll dish. We had quite the feast and with adults and kids, there were 24 people here!!
Rick and the guys
The "Adult" Table
We went out to dinner as a family at PF Changs. I took pictures, but including one would mean that I would have to include 6 in order to get pictures of everyone. It was fun. We don't go out to eat a ton. It was especially nice that we had gift cards that covered the WHOLE meal!!

After dinner, we came home for gifts and dessert. Each child got Rick a gift. Cody made his dad two papers with writing on them. On one he took Rick's name and wrote a description of him with each letter. Then, he took words that describe Rick and found Bible verses to go with them. It was such a special gift that I know Rick will always cherish. Lauren got Rick rolos. Abby got him a head massager. Sam gave him his special "boomerang rock." Isaiah gave him Almong Joys. Laila gave him chocolate covered marshmallows. They all loved having a special gift to give him.
Back home for gifts and cake
Yes, Rick is 39! Blowing out the candles.
I love to cook, but I don't really like cake much so I don't make cake that often. When I do, I use a mix. Well, I broke out of the habit today by making a cake and frosting completely from scratch. I was nervous. I got the recipe from Tosha after trying the cake at her house. It was an Italian Cake with a cream cheese frosting and caramel drizzled over the top. I knew when I tasted it that Rick would like it. It turned out really good.
Rick with the cake
Laila resting on Daddy while eating cake. My favorite picture of the day.
Happy Birthday, Ricky. You have now begun your 40th year of life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment