Saturday, February 13, 2010

Court Date - It Is Official!!!

On Friday, February 12, we went to court to validate Isaiah's and Laila's adoption. It was the official end of this process that has consumed the last year and half of our lives. It felt good to bring closure to the process. Now, as a family, we move forward.

When I went in to wake up Isaiah and Laila, I said, "Today is a special day!" Isaiah's excited response was, "Is it my birthday?" I said, "No, it is your court date." He ran out of the room proclaiming, "Today I am going courting." His cuteness never ceases to amaze me.

Sam and Isaiah wanted to dress alike. Aren't they handsome?
In the court room
We really loved the judge that led the proceedings. He was very friendly and open to us having our guests there. We were able to do pictures and video. He explained how these hearings were his favorite because they were the only positive court experience he gets to participate in. He saves them for the end of the week so that he can have something to look forward to.

I really underestimated how meaningful this day would be to me. All along it has just seemed like a formality that we must go through in order to complete the process. When we were actually there, it felt very different.

When we were in Africa, we did not get to go to court. Only our lawyer went to represent us. So we did not have that experience. There was something special about taking an oath and declaring Isaiah and Laila as our children. It was a commitment that we made before the court, our friends, our family, and God. Yes, we had already done that in our hearts and our actions, but this was a legal proceeding proclaiming it. That felt very significant to me!!

Rick and Isaiah on the witness stand
Laila and me on the witness stand
Our family with the judge
Our audience for the proceedings
(Thanks to each of you for being part of this special day)
They are OFFICIALLY ours forever!!

6 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!! JUST AMAZING, AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!! So sad I missed it this morning!!!!

    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Laura, this was so sweet to read. I am so proud of you for being just the most committed, loving, exhausted, creative, intentional mommy I know. I love you and I love little Isaiah & Laila and I am so thankful to be a part of the Clapp family journey, even in a small way. Congratulations on such a significant day in the life of your sweet family. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulatons to you all! It reminded me of the day Cooper became my son. A very special day indeed. So thankful for all you are doing for the Kingdom.
    Sandy B.

    ReplyDelete