Friday, February 19, 2010

Brain Dead

I feel brain dead right now after my morning. It was bad, I mean really bad. Since Isaiah's and Laila's adoptions have been finalized, I needed to get Social Security numbers for them so that we can claim them on our taxes. I went on the website to see what kind of paperwork I would need, and I made several phone calls to try to get some answers. Unfortunately, the phone was never answered after being on hold many times, and the website was unclear. I decided the only way to do this was to just go to the office with every piece of paperwork that seemed important and wait it out. I did not want to send original documents in the mail and also risk not sending all that was needed. I also had to take Laila and Isaiah with me because it seemed as thought they might need to be present since the numbers were for them.

I prepared, I thought through this, and I worked very hard to make this as smooth as possible. The office opened at 9:00 AM. I got there at 9:05. The place was full. When I got my number, I was A18. I looked up and saw that they were on A2. The other problem was that there were "B" numbers as well so every time a number was called, it wasn't always an "A." I took a deep breath and sat down, prepared for the worst.

I was already pretty sure of this, but after today I am convinced that Isaiah is the loudest child in the world. He also has to be the most repetitive. I wish I had someone counting how many times I asked him to use his "quiet voice," and how many times he repeated the same things over and over. Good thing I was equipped. I rationed out every bit of my arsenal slowly. We started with books. Then, we progressed to cars. The next step was taking off our jackets and playing games like "Pat-a-Cake" and "Itsy Bitsy Spider." I waited as long as possible before I broke out the crayons. After going through naming all of the colors and tracing our hands, I began to draw shapes and pictures for Isaiah to identify. I feel like I basically did a morning of preschool with him although much harder.

Finally, our number was coming up next. Isaiah said he had to go potty. I was absolutely not going to miss my number being called. I told him he would have to hold it. 3o minutes later they actually called it. Seriously, can we not have a fast pass for people with children? I even went over to one of the security people at one point and asked if I could take pictures. I wanted this day permanently recorded. I was thinking of all of you out there reading this blog. Wouldn't you like to have seen the struggle?

Once they called us over, the fun had just begun. Now, I had to contain them at a counter while I was also answering questions and finding paperwork. They were restless, and so was I. Isaiah was getting louder, Laila was getting fussier. There were signs everywhere that said, "NO FOOD OR DRINK." Are you kidding me? Finally, after asking Isaiah to put his hands on the counter at least 30 times in order to keep an eye on where he was, I sat them down under the counter, gave them their sippy cups and fruit snacks. I dared anyone to tell me they couldn't eat them. That kept them busy for another 5 minutes. Once that was over, I pulled out the play phones. Isaiah kept telling me to be quiet because he was trying to talk on the phone. Then he decided he wanted Laila's phone more than his. So, a fight began.

I can't even express how much frustration I was feeling inside. It reminded me of all of the waiting we had to do with them in Africa in various offices for paperwork to be completed. The difference was that here I was doing it alone. I am already a semi-mess most of the time that Rick is gone, but this sent me into full blown messiness.

Finally, we were done. I had everything I needed to complete the process. I was told the cards should come in about 2 weeks. Before I left, I asked the lady at the desk, "By the way, just out of curiosity, did I need to bring them with me?" Her answer was, "No, only children 12 and older." Oh my goodness I could have gone postal at the point. At least I do not have to go back to that evil place again for a long time. I picked up all of our things and gathered Isaiah and Laila. When we got into the car, I looked at the time. The whole process took 1 hour and 42 minutes. I was exhausted. I felt like I needed bring Isaiah and Laila home and fumigate them. They had been all over the floor in that place. I could just feel germs landing on me.

As I was driving away, I got a call. I couldn't get to my phone. When I went to listen to the voicemail, it was Rick. Oh, no. I haven't spoken to him since Tuesday and have no way of contacting him myself. Thankfully, his message said he would call back in a few minutes. We got to talk. It was quick, but just what I needed to settle me down.

Then, I proceeded to Dairy Queen to get a blizzard.

No comments:

Post a Comment