Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 7 - Rick in Africa

I am eating a pink lemonade sucker as I type this. Yes, the sugar extravaganza continues. If sugar really is "white death" like some of my friends call it, then I may not live until Rick returns from Africa at the rate I am going. And yes, I will have some French Silk Pie Blizzard again tonight once I put the kids to bed. :)

If I haven't mentioned it, this is the longest I have had the 6 kids by myself. It also doesn't help that Rick was gone to Dallas a week before he left for Africa, so I am running on empty at this point.

I am learning some things about myself as a person and a mom.
1. Taking care of 6 kids is exhausting. At about 4:00 each day, I hit a huge wall. I have even been going to bed before 10:00 the last few nights, and I still wake up screaming, "NOOOO" every morning when the alarm goes off. This is not a new revelation to me, it just feels so much more magnified since Rick is gone. There are no breaks. I constantly have someone talking to me and asking me for things. I just need 5 minutes of quiet, or I might just go crazy!!!

2. I have figured out why I don't like to eat with my kids. I can't get one bite in my mouth before someone needs something. I have never been the kind of mom that sits down to eat lunch with her kids. I am the kind that feeds them, and when they are done, I eat by myself.

3. Keeping busy is good for me while Rick is gone. By day 7, though, I feel a bit weary and just want to relax. I need to find a good balance between staying busy to pass the time and overdoing it to the point of exhaustion.

4. I have trouble reading while Rick is gone. I know this one sounds silly, but I find myself spending lots of time on the computer or watching TV while he is gone. Both of those things are relaxing to me. Even though I enjoy reading, it feels like too much work when he is gone.

5. My kids don't realize that I have feelings, too. I finally had a discussion with a couple of the older kids today. I shared with them how their words of disrespect hurt me. I even told them that their words have made me cry at times this week. They had no idea. I appreciated that they listened and seemed to care that they hurt me.

I am currently counting down the minutes until I can put the kids to bed, and it is only 4:45. I have most of the night planned so it should go smoothly. We went to a bday party earlier today. It was really crazy with lots of people . While there, Isaiah peed his pants(something he hasn't done in 3 weeks), hit children 2 times, and bit someone. It was lovely. The party ran over into nap time which did not help. This little boy is sooooo strong willed. Some days I just don't know if I have it in me to be all that he needs from me. He literally tests EVERY boundary I give him, even simple things that he would enjoy. He wants to do everything his way. I know I am tired and that makes everything harder, but I want to have a good day with him where I don' t have to deal with discipline all day long. I love blessing and doing special things for my kids, but it feels like he sabotages every good thing I do for him.

Okay, enough ranting. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....

2 comments:

  1. I know I don't have six kids but you are having a glance into my life and what it is like when Darrick deploys for 6 months!

    Isaiah sounds similar to Naomi and it is so exhausting. There are days I wonder how can I do this Lord? It is definitly the part of adoption that no one really seems to talk much about-the challenges! They always say there will be challenges...We can do this! God has blessed us with these beautiful children and He is shaping us and them in the process. Call me if you need an ear...808-342-0081 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled when I read about you not being able to eat a bite during meal time. I can't imagine dinner with 6! I feel like I constantly jump up with three even if I try my best to think of everything before we all sit down.

    Hey--I guess frequent getting up will burn off all those blizzards! ;)

    ~Nannette

    ReplyDelete