Saturday, February 27, 2010

A Birthday Tradition

I started a tradition 5 years ago. It provides one of the most treasured keepsakes for Rick and me. It is a sketchbook that I use for each of Rick's Birthdays and for Fathers' Day each year.

We started by decorating the title page with stickers the first year that we did it(2005). Each bday the kids draw a picture or write something to their dad. The things I love about this is that is shows the progression as they get older, it gives a glimpse into who they were at that age, and it gives us a way to keep those memories. It is so hard to keep up with cards from 6 kids from every bday and Fathers' Day.

The Title Page
This was Lauren's first entry at age 4
This is Lauren's entry now at age 9
On Fathers' Day, we always start by doing a page that says, "I Love Daddy Because" and each child gives me reasons that I write for them or they write it if they are able.
A Sample of our Fathers' Day Entry
I cannot take credit for this idea. Honestly, I can't remember where it came from. I think I read it somewhere and decided to do it. I just had to share it with you because it is one of my favorites.

For the longest time, I wanted one of these books for myself. Last year, I received one from the kids. Now, I have my own "special book." When the kids get older, no matter where they are, I hope to mail the book back and forth before each bday and Fathers' Day in order to maintain this tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment