Saturday, January 9, 2010

Spending Fast - Day 9 - Spending for a Good Cause

I have to confess. I broke the fast today. When you hear this story, I think you will understand why.

As I shared earlier, my kids have joined me in this fast. The four big ones have decided on their own to give up their allowance for the month in order to put the money towards our adoption and also to experience a month without spending. Their allowance for a 5 Sunday month totals $45. I am really proud of them for doing this. I am excited to see what God teaches them through this experience.

Today, the girls came to me with a piece of paper. It was a flyer they had created. On the flyer it said:
Lauren and Abby
Store
Where: girls room
When: 12:00 PM to 12:00 AM
All money goes toward adoption
Thank you

They decided to set up a store in their room today.(I will say, I told them they would have to close it before midnight.) Any money they receive, they want to put towards our adoption.

So, you see, I had to shop in their store. I bought two pieces of handmade pottery. They were only charging $.05 for one and $.10 for the other. I told them that I thought each piece was worth at least $.50. So, I spent a dollar. One of the best purchases I have ever made. I hope my spending will spur them on to greater ideas of how they can serve others.

3 comments:

  1. How stinking precious are they? LOVE that!

    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I have also been inspired by you to purchase on needs not wants, I think the store may have been a need. Wish I could have been a shopper. Such awesome kids you have!

    ReplyDelete