Thursday, January 21, 2010

Spending Fast - Day 21 - The Gift That Keeps on Costing

I want to begin this post with a statement. What I am about to write does not at all mean that I have regrets about our adoption. I am thankful and blessed to have these two little ones in our family. What I need to write is my frustrations in conjunction with our spending fast. I think what I have to say is something that most who have adopted would agree with. Somebody needs to express it. I have chosen to be that person. Let the venting begin.

Adoption is ridiculously expensive. Many people are turned away from the idea of adoption because of the expense. This was one of our biggest concerns as we entered this process. Rick, as the provider for our family, was especially concerned. I can remember the first night we met with our case worker and got her list of upcoming expenses. Rick was shell shocked. That didn't even include the fees we would owe to the agency and the money it would take to travel.

God made it very clear to us that we were to adopt despite this financial burden. We had 2 big amounts of money due one week apart from each other early on in the process. Both weeks, God provided that exact amount of money from friends. It was amazing. One friend didn't even know we had that amount due, but God put it on his heart to give us EXACTLY what we needed. That was what Rick needed to move forward.

One thing that made our adoption expenses harder to tackle was the fact that the process was so fast. I am thankful that we did not have to wait for years to get our kids. In fact, they were in our family only 4 months after we began our process. That is a miracle that we thank God for every day. Not having a long, drawn-out process gave us very little time to gather the money needed. We were so BUSY getting the process done in record time that we couldn't put forth the effort to raise funds. We had many amazing people sacrifice their own money to help us with this adoption. I feel overwhelmed and blessed by that. Thank you to those of you who participated in that way and are reading this right now!!!!

Now it is 9 months after bringing Isaiah and Laila home, and the expenses continue. In addition to paying off the leftover debt that we have from the adoption, we still have 2 post-placement visits required that go above and beyond what we have paid to our homestudy agency. We will owe $300 this week for a quick visit with our case worker and the report that she completes. We will owe that same amount again in April.

UGH! It frustrates me. I have been so diligent in saving this month. I guess I know where those savings will go. I just wish it didn't have to be this way. I wish that there was some way for us to make it possible for families to bring children into their families from wherever they are called to adopt without all the effort and expense that it takes. It is wrong, and I am not okay with it.

If you know someone who has adopted or is in the process of adopting, do what you can to support them. Not just with your money. Support them with your prayers and your help. Wherever they are in the process they have what seems like insurmountable needs. God hasn't called everyone to adopt, but I do believe He has called EVERYONE to care for orphans in some capacity. My challenge to you: Ask God how He wants to use you in the lives of orphans.

I did not begin this post heading in this direction, but I feel like I have said what needs to be said. Money is only a tool. It does not rule or govern my life. If my sacrifices this month have been to provide what we needed for this visit on Friday, then my sacrifice is not in vain. Each time I look into the eyes of Isaiah and Laila, I KNOW without a doubt that we have done what God called us to do. I would pay twice or triple the amount if that is what it took to get my babies home.
Seriously, who can resist that smile?
Cheesy picture grin

4 comments:

  1. i feel like you so eloquently put to words a big chunk of my frustrations with the cost of adoption. i, however, would come across as bitter and whiney. you came across as intelligent and thoughtful. way to go.

    i thought we we DONE with adopting, but after the earthquake in Haiti... well, i feel that tug again. and my FIRST response to that tug is, "how on earth would we pay for it?" but if God wants it, who am i to stand in the way. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cathy. It is hard for me to write about the money aspect of adoption, but it is a HUGE stumbling block and frustration that we adoptive people face. Thanks for you words. I was worried about how this blog my come across.

    Haiti is breaking my heart, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following your blog since it started and I just love it. Makes me feel like I never left and I love your energy! I decided to start a blog - God has me writing a lot! I would love for you to check it out. www.designandcolor.wordpress.com. Keep up the great blog. I miss you. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, Laura. Your blog just really said everything that has upset me about adoption over the years. We have talked about it so many times and never even been able to conceive of how we would afford it. It's got to be the work of the enemy that the biggest obstacles are in the way of caring for those with the biggest level of need. For us, I don't know how, when or ever adoption will work for us, but if God makes it clear at some point that there is a child he is giving us, we will climb on board with him and wait for our own story. Thanks for yours.

    Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete