Sunday, January 24, 2010

Another One Down in the Clapp House

If you have more than one kid, you understand how frightening it can when sickness hits. When there are 6 kids, it is terrifying. Whenever one kid gets sick, I brace myself because we could be in for a long ride of sickness.

I shared earlier in the week that Laila was sick. My sweet baby is still recovering. It has been an ugly fever, coughy, runny nose, crying a lot, lay around kind of sickness. She seems to be over the worst of it, but I have no idea how long this runny nose and cough will last. Not to mention the fact that I am still bracing myself for the potential that it could develop into an ear infection.

On Friday night, it began with Isaiah. Let me give you a little background so you will grasp the intensity of this. When Rick met Isaiah, he was very sick. He was struggling to breath and had to be taken that day to the hospital. By the time we were finishing the adoption in Africa, not only was he doing great(hey, he had a month to get better before we were able to leave!!), but his chest x-rays were completely clear with no evidence of any scarring(contrary to an earlier report we had received). So, either the earlier report was wrong or he was healed. Either way, it was a huge relief. He has been with us for 9 months and there has been no sign of any breathing problems.

Friday night, he was really struggling to breathe. Thankfully we know how to handle that. Both Abby and Sam have had breathing issues in the past. I have been doing breathing treatments on Isaiah regularly since that time. Last night, it seemed as though some of the congestion was beginning to break up. That is encouraging. Today, he is still really miserable.

Listen, when this boy asks to take a nap and lays around, we know he is sick. He is not running around. He is not getting into things. He has been very quiet. That is not the Isaiah that we all know and love. His little body is fighting so hard. It makes me sad, but as I said with Laila's sick post, I am so thankful that he is here for us to love through this sickness. As much as they try, it is really hard to devote one-on-one time with a sick child in an orphanage of 18 children and 2 workers.

So, I cross my fingers that this will not continue to spread. It seems to last about a week. In our house that means everyone will be better by the middle of March!!

I think this is going to be "medical" week in our house. Cody is getting 2 teeth pulled, I have these 2 little sick kiddos, and Sam has his 6 yr. appt. Who knows what else will happen. It is always an adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment