Sunday, January 10, 2010

Spending Fast - Day 10 - Service over Legalism

I don't expect to spend any money today. We have a busy day with church activities. But I have been thinking all week about my heart in this process.

I have had several opportunities this week to minister to others, and I expect more will arise throughout the month. I have a choice. I can focus on this spending fast in a legalistic way and not serve others. I can justify it by saying, "If I serve them in that way, I will have to spend money. I have committed to not spend money this month." Or, I can be sensitive to God's spirit in my heart and serve those He has placed in my path. It can come in many forms. It could be a meal for a family, a visit to the hospital with a small gift of encouragement, or even a cup of hot chocolate to a carpool worker at the kids' school as she stands out in the single digit temperatures each morning. I don't want to EVER become so wrapped up in my sacrifices to God that I drop my obedience to His callings for service.

1 Samuel 5:22
22 But Samuel replied:
"Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD ?
To obey is better than sacrifice,
and to heed is better than the fat of rams.

So, this fast is a good thing. It is making think A LOT about how I spend money, my motives for spending money, and my own selfishness in it all. My desire in ALL that I do is to listen to the VOICE of God!!

2 comments:

  1. good stuff laura. you gave me lots to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, that is FABULOUS and convicting!!! I think you are doing great. Keep it up! What a blessing you are!

    ReplyDelete