Thursday, January 28, 2010

Spending Fast - Day 28 - Sacrificing Bargains

The thing by far that I have missed the most about this fast is shopping for bargains. This is the time of year that I buy the clothes my kids will wear next winter. I can get them for 70% off or more. I have a list right now in my head of some things they will need next winter. Lauren will need a new winter coat, Cody will need jeans, Lauren and Abby will need tights, etc.

Cody and Lauren need the most things because they are the oldest. Between hand-me-downs and new clothes they receive as gifts, the others tend to have plenty of clothes. Cody and Lauren start out with nothing. So, I especially need to shop for them this time of year. I can get new clothes cheaper than yard sales and consignment stores when I shop these sales.

In order to honor my spending fast commitment, I have chosen not to spend money on these sales. I have pretty much avoided the stores that I usually shop at in order to not be so tempted. Last week, Rick needed me to return some things to Old Navy for him. As I approached the store, I saw the sign that sends shivers up my spine, "50% of all clearance prices!!" Oh, no! I returned Rick's clothing. I then remembered that in the fall I returned a uniform shirt that had a hole in it, and since I didn't have the receipt, they gave me a store credit of $5.37. Normally that would not buy much, but with 50% off clearance prices, not so. I was able to get Cody two really nice shirts. The total: $5.34. They gave me $.03 back!!!

Then, I received my $10 certificate in the mail from Children's Place as my Place Perks reward from my Christmas time purchases. I looked at it and saw this: "Expires Jan. 30, 2010." If I don't use it, I will lose it. I found out when I went to use it that the price before taxes had to be at least $10.00. That meant I would have to spend some money. I had a dilemma: Use the certificate and spend a minimal amount of money, or let it expire. I can tell you this, I cannot bear the thought of basically throwing away a $10 bill, so I decided to spend it. I purchased snow boots, and 2 shirts for Lauren today. I spent a total of $2.12. I broke the fast. You could argue that these items were not needs, but I did purchase only things that Lauren "needs" ( I put that in quotes because it is according to our American standard of needs.). There you go, I confessed.

I had one other victory today in my no spending quest. Sam has a bday party coming up on Sat. He wants goody bags for the party, but I didn't want to spend money. I started scrounging around in my gift stash. I had totally forgotten that I did have some boy party favors stashed away. We found enough items to put together goody bags that Sam is really excited about. I am so proud of myself. It would have been so much easier to go out and buy the things because I did give myself an exemption for his bday party. Instead, I was able to please him and not spend the money.

I find that when it comes to money, I often live in fear. That fear rises up in me when I think about missing out on bargains. "How will I get all the clothes the kids will need if I can't by them on clearance?" "What if I miss out on a really good deal?" I will NOT live my life according to fear. I will TRUST God to provide for us in whatever way He sees fit. I am excited to see how God will provide the things that my kids need whether it be bargains I find once this fast is over or through ways that I can't even imagine right now.

1 comment:

  1. Neat experiment. I can't wait to read your concluding thoughts on the whole thing. And I'd love to know how much you saved!...if that's the sorta thing one tells. :) -laura adair

    ReplyDelete