Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Spending Fast - Day 26 - Eating out at home

As many of you know, I have had some stomach issues I have been dealing with for about 7 months. The one thing during that whole time that has sounded good to me to eat is Panera Bread's Baked Potato Soup. It is the one thing that could I eat without feeling sick. I have felt really good for about two weeks until Sunday.

On Sunday, I woke up sick. I think this sickness was a stomach virus, not the same sickness I have been feeling. It came and went and I had some amazing people who helped me and the family while I recovered. (Thanks, Ellen, Laura S., and Andrea)

I haven't eaten much since Sat. The thing that sounded so good to me today was that yummy potato soup. First of all, today is not one of the days that Panera is serving that soup. On a regular day, I might just swing by there and get some or would plan to get it on the next day it is served, Wed. Since we are doing this spending fast, I won't be able to go there tomorrow and get that soup.

Cody also had 2 teeth pulled this morning, and I thought soup would be good for him tonight as he recovers. By the way, he did beautifully getting his teeth pulled.

How did I solve this dilemma? I followed the example of my friend, Melodie, as she is doing this same kind of fast. You can read the post that she wrote here that inspired me today.

I looked online and found a recipe for Panera's Baked Potato Soup. My family LOVED it, and I do have to say, it was pretty good. Not as easy as going and buying it, but still yummy, and it hit the spot.

Here is the recipe:

4 large baking potatoes
5 slices bacon
1/2 cup butter
1 large onion, diced
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups milk
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups (6-ounces) grated cheddar cheese, divided*
1 cup sour cream

* I usually use a combination of cheeses that I happen to have in the refrigerator.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Scrub potatoes well and prick several times with fork; bake approximately 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. Remove from oven and let cool. When cool, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out potato pulp; set aside. Discard skins.

Cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving drippings, crumble, and set aside.

In a large soup pot over low heat, add reserved bacon dripping and butter. Add onion and saute approximately 4 to 5 minutes until soft. Stir in flour until well combined; cook for several minutes, but do not let brown. Gradually add milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, crumbled bacon, and 1 cup cheese. Stir and cook until cheese is melted. Stir in sour cream. Add extra milk, if necessary, for desired thickness.

NOTE: At this point, soup may be refrigerated until ready to serve. When ready to serve, warm over low heat, stirring until hot. Remove from heat and serve in soup bowls.

To serve, serve in individual soup bowls garnished with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Additional crumbled bacon, sliced green onions, and/or chives may be served to sprinkle onto the top of the soup.

*I substituted gf flour in the recipe so that Cody could eat it and couldn't tell a difference.

I was proud of myself for figuring out a way to still have the soup without breaking the fast. Yay! Me!




2 comments:

  1. You are a very resourceful mommy. I think I will try this soup recipe soon - with homemade bread. yummmmmmmmmm.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This sounds so good! We do this with some of the food that we miss. In fact, there is a restaraunt in The Springs that we do this with...we make their Ghouda cheese soup. I love that we think alike:) and bet it felt awesome when it tasted so good and you kept to your fast. Way to go! You've inspired our family too!

    ReplyDelete