Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Spending Fast - Day 5 - Temptation Resisted

I went grocery shopping today at Sam's. I spent $41.70. I was pleased. I left with the things we needed and no extras. I didn't even look at clothes because I am almost positive they had some kid's clothes on clearance. I figure why put myself in that position. I need to also make a trip to Wal-mart for some essentials, but wasn't able to get there today. I will save that for tomorrow.

So, I made it through the whole day, and then at 4:45 in the afternoon at my own home, I was tempted to spend money. Who would have thought? We arrived home, and as I was getting everyone inside, Cody comes in and says, "There is a man outside that wants to talk to you." I was thinking, "Seriously, I have about a million things to do before a meeting I have tonight," but I had no idea that anything this man could say would appeal to me. I was wrong. He was selling beef, steaks of many sorts and hamburgers. I know the spiel, but I was tempted. Every time, I told him, "no," he would lower the price even more. Before I knew it, I had large amounts of beef at my fingertips for minimal cost. I don't have a ton of freezer space right now, but I could have made it work. Finally, I looked at him and said, "You know what, I see that this is a really good deal, and we would use every bit of this meat, but I made a commitment to spend only what is necessary this month and this meat is not necessary. I am really sorry." He go the picture and left.

I was so relieved once he was gone that I had not given in to this temptation. Just because it is a good deal, does not give me the right to back down on my commitment. We don't NEED 35 steaks. Heck, we don't eat steak that often, only when it goes on sale for a really good price. I am not saying there is anything wrong with buying steaks. I am just saying that for us, steak is not a need and does not fall into the category of what I should be purchasing this month. Enough said.

I am thankful to have completed another day and to be able to say that I stuck to my commitment. Who knows what temptations lie in the days ahead. I never would have dreamed this one up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment