Monday, January 4, 2010

Spending Fast - Day 4- Experiences over Things

I had Rick stop by the grocery store today on the way home to pick up a few items I needed. The total came to $6.28. So, far, I have spent less than $25 for the month. That will all change tomorrow. I have a grocery list of some food and household items we NEED. So, I will be shopping with that in mind. No extras.

As I ponder this whole spending fast in a lot of ways it is very freeing. I don't have to rush out to the sales. I can just "delete" those emails about the current sale at some of my most shopped at stores. I don't have to spend my mornings going from store to store trying to fit it all in.

The thing that I think God started teaching me a few months ago is that things don't matter. I am a pack rat. I have a really hard time getting rid of things because I might need them again someday. Rick and I cleaned out our closet over break and have the whole back of my truck full of things to give away. Now, I don't feel so burdened by the mess or even the idea of keeping things I don't need. I can walk in my closet and have a visual reminder of that burden being lifted.

What I am learning to value more is experiences. I would rather have an experience together as a family over a new toy that my kids get tired of after a week. That just clutters my house, but the experience lives on in our memories. That is why I think traditions are so important to me. It is about the repeated experiences that we have together.

I am excited to see what else God will teach me, and I am looking forward to my first "real" shopping trip tomorrow with my new mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment