Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Where are the instructions?!?!?

I realize I am writing about those first days a lot. I didn't have a blog back then so I am trying to get these thoughts, feelings, and pictures recorded for memory's sake.

Let's stroll back down memory lane.

I have birthed and parented 4 children up to this point, but none of that has prepared me for parenting these 2. You see, all of the others came to me as newborns. Even though parenting newborns is not easy, they start out with a clean slate. What am I supposed to do with two children that have a history that I know nothing about. To top it all off, they did not come with instructions. I have no idea what that scar on Sanele's leg is from. Why in the world are they both so terrified of dogs? What foods does Sanele like? How does Dema go to sleep at night? How do I communicate with 2 children that have never really heard the language I am speaking, and I only know a few basic words of their language? How do I care for their hair? It is so different from mine. How do I know what experiences they have had that have made them who they are today? What trauma have they experienced? So many questions with no answers.
Sanele and me back at our cottage. Both of us are standing there thinking,
"What in the world do we do now?"
The first thing I did with them is give them baths and put clean clothes on them. I am pretty sure they had never had new clothes on before. You would not believe how proud Sanele was of his clothes and new shoes. He even wanted to sleep in his shoes those first few nights.
Big brother getting to know his new sis.
This is the furrowed brow look that she had at first.
We wondered if we would be able to break through that shell of grumpiness.
Before the first week was over, her forehead had relaxed and Dema blossomed into an interactive, happy little girl.
This is Laila now. She is smiley, happy, and very loving!
Without an instruction book, the only source of help I had was the Lord. Since the day we took custody of our babies, I have had to lean on Him to guide me in parenting them. When I think about it, it really is no different than with my bio kids. Only God can lead me in parenting ALL of my children well.

1 comment:

  1. I can't get enough of re-living those first days with you. The transformation in the eyes of both of your youngest kids just makes me cry every time you show pix.

    ReplyDelete