Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Big Day!!

First, I need to clarify for my own sake. I am writing these posts on the same day as it happened last year, not the same date. Last year on Tuesday, we took custody of the kids. The actual date was March 24 which is tomorrow, but for this year I am reliving the memories on the same days rather than the actual dates. Okay, enough business. Now, on with the story.

From my journal: The day that changed our lives.
I woke up on Tuesday morning rested and feeling really overwhelmed by what the day held for me, for us, and for our family. Everything was about to change. I was nervous, excited, scared, and elated all at the same time. This would be the day that I would bring "home" my babies.

We got ready and went down to breakfast with the rest of the team. Everything I did was the last time I would do it without my babies. I was afraid to believe it would really happen. What if the government officials changed their mind. I absolutely had to get those children before that could happen.

On the drive to the orphanage, words cannot express what I was feeling. I was a big ball of fear, anxiety, excitement, and joy. This day was so significant. I had no box to put this in because I had never experienced anything like this before.

When we pulled up to the gate, there was a different feeling in the air. There was a heaviness in the atmosphere. One of the workers came to open the gate with less spring in her step than usual. Her mood was somber. We could tell that today was a hard day for her.

Kids began pouring out of the building as we drove down the short driveway. My radar was up looking for my babies. Sanele was on the steps. I spotted him quickly. He saw us and looked glad that we were there. He looked ready to go, like he knew what this day held. We found Dema as well. They both looked as if they had been given baths. They smelled clean.
Greeting my boy
I had the women who worked at the place talk to me on video about the kids. I had them describe them and tell what they thought about them. This would be the only record we would have of who they were before we met them. They spoke very fondly of them. We also went around the whole place videoing each room so that we could get it all captured on video for them to see one day. The place was really subdued. We asked if the other children knew what was happening. They said they had not told them, but their behavior reflected a quietness uncharacteristic of this place.
Sitting with the kids as Rick signs paperwork
Then, something really profound happened. I was speaking to the women who had been caring for my babies for the last 4 months. I was thanking them for what they do and for how well they loved them. Then, one of the women spoke words of life to me. She said, "You are doing a good thing. Don't forget that. God has called you to this. You will have hard days, but look to Him. He will give you the strength to endure." I was encouraged and overwhelmed by those words all at the same time. Here is a 20-something African girl speaking life into me. It was an amazing moment.

Now, it was time for the goodbyes. This was one of the saddest and most pitiful scenes I have ever witnessed. Sanele seemed very happy and content. I know he could not fully grasp how much his life was about to change. He was about to embark on a journey like no other. They have a thing they do at the orphanage called, "take 5 and a hug." All of the kids lined up. Sanele went down the line giving each child a high five and a hug. It was heartbreaking to know that they were being left behind and that he was leaving the home that he knew.

These children need a home and family, too. My heart especially ached for the older children who truly knew what was happening. I just can't imagine what it feels like for them to be left behind. Watching that scene fuels the fire in me to do something, to make a difference, to find a home for these kids. These kids are actually the "lucky ones" in their country. They have a roof over their heads. They have food every day. They are protected and have adults caring form them. 18 children out of the over 150,000 orphans in this country. It is overwhelming. What we are doing doesn't even add a drop in the bucket.
Sanele doing high 5 with the director
Sanele giving a hug to the director
The workers at the orphanage who cared for our babies
We loaded up in the truck. Rick was holding Sanele, and I was holding Dema(they don't use car seats in their country). As we drove away from the orphanage, the thought crossed my mind, "What have we just done? Are we making the biggest mistake of our lives? There is no turning back now. I don't even know these children." It is a weird feeling to drive away with children knowing that they are yours, but not really knowing them!! Let the adventure begin!!

1 comment:

  1. Happy "gotcha" day isaiah and laila!

    p.s. these are so fun to read.

    ReplyDelete