Wednesday, March 17, 2010

One year ago today...

I woke up to these pictures:
(They truly speak volumes!)
Rick meeting Sanele for the first time
(Facing each other, checking each other out, deciding whether or not to trust)
Rick meeting Dema for the first time
(Being held, without emotion)
My heart melted and ached all at the same time. So many emotions and fears were intertwined in my soul. What if we couldn't break through those walls that they had built in order to protect themselves and survive. What if our love wasn't enough? What if they didn't attach to us? What if I didn't love them the same as my biological children? They looked so vulnerable and beautiful to me. I wanted to be there with them, but it was hugely comforting to me to know that their daddy was with them. Their lives were about to change. Our lives were about to change. God was weaving together our hearts to create a new "basket" called the "Clapp Family."

What a difference a year makes! When I look at those pictures, I see children that are guarded, fearful, unhealthy, and in need of love and a family.

Now, only a year later, here are pictures of our sweet babies with their dad

Rick and Isaiah coloring together.
I love seeing them interacting like this and the comparison with the first picture!!
(side by side, working together as father and son)

Laila loving and cuddling with her daddy
(resting in Daddy's arms)
I am overwhelmed with emotion as I process this last year. This is going to be quite the month reliving these memories and thanking God for all that He has done.

2 comments:

  1. My heart rejoices with you looking at these pictures! You continue to be an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am inspired that one day I will be posting photos of my little one and sharing stories of the journey in bringing her home. Thank you for being such an amazing woman of God and mommy! You bless these children with your incredible love and presence! Blessings! Jacqui Wheelhouse

    ReplyDelete