Sunday, March 21, 2010

Forever Changed

One year ago today, my world was forever changed!! This was the day that I met my babies. It was a really hard day. I thought the moment to meet them would never come.

We started out the day driving several hours to arrive where Rick already was. It was a long, painful drive for me. I was so excited and nervous and anxious. I remember asking if we could listen to "Counting On God," "Hosanna," "Savior King," and the whole Fike and Dana cd. These songs gave me peace and perspective. So much had led me to this day. So many tears, hopes and dreams. So many sleepless nights, so much paperwork, so many hoops to jump through, and so much money(Let's be honest, here. That is a huge part of the adoption process).

Once we arrived at the place where we would be staying, we had a church service to go to. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE going to church in Africa. The voices are beautiful as they sing worship to the Lord. I love hearing the messages given by the pastors. I love worshipping with other believers on the other side of the world. Despite all of this, it was so hard to sit and wait. If you haven't been to Africa, you don't know that church services can be painfully long. Painful, that is, when your babies are only a few miles away, and you want nothing more than to meet them right away!!

Enough waiting!! Get me to my babies!!

This is what I wrote in my journal about that day:

The kids are only minutes away. Now, I am nervous! How will they react to me? Will they only want to go to Rick? Will they be afraid of me? What if I don't connect with them? So many questions flying through my brain.

Then, we pulled up to the gate. Jumbo honked the horn for them to come open it. I sat there searching through the crowd of little people trying to find my kids. When the children saw the vehicle they started jumping up and down in excitement, and were pouring out of the building. I spotted Dema(Laila) first. She looked just like her pictures, such a little chunker. I picked her up and held her. She looked me over. Her eyes connected with mine, and she raised her little eyebrows. I got a glimpse of two little teeth on her bottom gums. She didn't seem afraid of me. She just tried to examine me and figure me out. Her legs were so chunky, even more than I had imagined. I just had tears in my eyes as I sat there and held her.

Rick went inside to find Sanele(Isaiah). I could hear him talking to him. He brought him out, and they had shaved his head. He looked at me, and he looked at Cody. There was recognition in his eyes. He had seen us in pictures. He was adorable and bright and little.
I sat down with both of them. I just couldn't hug them enough.
Rick picked up Sanele and carried him around a bit. I picked up Dema and walked over to them. When we got close, she reached out to touch him. She knows him!! She also reached out to touch his whiskers. Rick said she likes them. She would also play with my hair a lot. I don't know if she has ever touched hair like mine. I gave her to Rick, and I took Sanele. His personality was just amazing, so friendly, so affectionate. I noticed his breathing was still not great. He was wheezing in his chest.

I spoke with Bongiwe(one of the workers at the orphanage) about him. She had so many positive things to say. He was freindly, a helper, shared very well, and loving. That was really cool to hear.

Cody had a bag of Sour Patch Kids candy. He took it around and gave it to the children. It was so funny to watch them put them in their mouths and make a sour face. Sanele did it, too.
Cody meeting Dema(see that look on her face!!)
I sat down with Sanele. We were playing tickles, creepy mouse, trotty horse, and nose beeps. Then, all of a sudden, he grabbed my face and planted this long kiss on me. It was amazing. Then, a few minutes later, he did it again. This time, after he did it, he said, "Mommy, Mommy." That was an incredible moment that I will NEVER forget. I get emotional as I write about it. He is my son, and I am his mother. I don't care that I didn't physically give birth to him. I have labored the last 8 months to be with these children. They are as much mine as the ones I carried in my body.

Mareen(the director at the orphanage) loves Dema. I can tell. She has taken amazing care of her. She is the only one who can make her smile. That chick is stingy with her smiles. It is my goal to work my way into her heart and make her smile. God, please help that to happen soon.
It came time to go. I kept looking at Rick with sad eyes saying, "I can't do this. I can't leave them." I had no choice. We had to go.

Wow!! Even as I type all of this, all of the emotions of that day flood back to my mind. Today really is a day of celebration. The day I was forever changed as I met my babies!!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful story Laura! THank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story! I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like a good, happy cry to start off the day. Thanks for sharing. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete