Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fun at Walmart - Is that really possible?

I set very few goals for myself this summer. I needed a break. I needed to not have the pressure of reaching goals hanging over me. I also needed to focus on my kids.

We need to have fun together. The things that we did have scheduled were VBB, vacation, birthdays for 4 of the kids, and trying to survive while Rick travels. All we have left is one more bday(Cody's bday is in August), and Rick has one more week of travel coming in August.

There were a couple of things that I wanted to do for the kids that I thought would be fun. They were:
1. Skate City
2. Dollar Movie Theater
3. Parks(specifically America the Beautiful Park and the Splash Park)
4. Cook with each child(letting them choose what we cook).
5. Go to Walmart and let them pick out a food item.

Let me just say, I have not told them about any of these plans because I would never hear the end of it until each one is accomplished. We are planning to do the dollar theater today(it is half price day), we did the splash park last week, I have plans to do Skate City next week, and the kids are in the process of deciding what they want to learn how to cook. We did our Walmart adventure yesterday. It was fun.

When there are 8 people in a house, food doesn't last long around here. My kids are constantly frustrated because they didn't get some of a special food that was bought. So, my solution, take them to Walmart and let them each pick one food item under $5 that would be only theirs. No one else could eat any of it.

I realized once we were walking around that I needed to make a few more guidelines or we were going to walk out of Walmart with 4-12 packs of soda, 2 large bags of candy, 3 packages of cookies and 5 bags of marshmallows. So, I decided they could not get sweet drinks or candy and that they could only get one item each. They were thinking they had $5 so they should just spend it all. I did not eliminate sweets totally, but told them they would not be allowed to get sweets the next time we do it.

Here are their choices:
Lauren - Lemonade Fruit Bars
Abby - a roll of cookie dough(now where did she learn that?)
Sam - Snack Pack Jello Cups
Isaiah - Chester's Puffcorn
Laila - Pringles(this chick loves her chips)
You may be wondering where Cody is. Well, he decided there wasn't anything he really wanted that badly. Maybe he will change his mind next time. I think the guidelines I set were too stressful for him.

I was hoping they would use this opportunity to buy one of those items they are always asking for that I usually say no to. They didn't really, but I think they enjoyed being able to pick something out. We will do it again some time.

3 comments:

  1. That's a really fun idea. When we were little, my mom would buy us each a different flavor of gum and sometimes she would buy a 6 pack of soda, like Diet Rite. We didn't get our own treats, but I like that idea a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that another little boy finds decisions too stressful. Tobin missed out on s'mores tonight due to "too many choices."

    Love this idea and plan on putting it into action on Saturday, our big grocery shopping day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That actually sounds like fun at Walmart! Who woulda thought...... I do have one "decision-challenged" son that probably would have ended up without anything.

    ReplyDelete