Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Doozy of a Day!

I was planning to post pictures today from Laila's little bday photo session. Well, not so. Let me explain what this day has been like:

I got the kids up and ready this morning(including baths for Isaiah and Laila which are very time consuming when I am doing Laila's hair). About 10 minutes before we were supposed to leave for the picture appt., Abby comes running upstairs saying that water is coming in the basement. I run down to find the window well with water standing in it and the floor wet into the carpet a little. So, I run and grab towels to be a temporary fix.

We leave and at the picture place, Laila refuses to cooperate. She won't smile, she won't stay in her spot, nothing. So, 30 minutes later we leave without a picture. As I am loading her into her seat, she says,"cheese" and smiles several times like she is having her picture taken . I wanted to scream.

I ran errands to 3 different stores loading and unloading kids at each stop. Then, I took Abby by Baskin Robbins to order her cake. The minute we walked in, Laila started saying, "Ice cream, Ice cream, Yummy, yummy." When we started to leave without ice cream she started screaming, "hungry, hungry, ice cream." I had to wrestle her into her seat at the truck with her screaming and pulling my hair the whole time. It was lovely, really.

Laila and Isaiah did not take a nap today. That would be great if I could put them to bed early tonight, but I can't because I have to pick Cody up from his middle school boys' group tonight making it a long night ahead for me.

The kids are continuing to battle with each other over really silly things.

Abby got her earrings caught in her bike helmet and almost ripped a bigger hole in her ear. Cody had a bike wreck, scraped his knee pretty bad and is convinced his thumb is broken. I haven't eaten a meal today, just a couple of small snacks. I am starving and gearing up to prepare dinner for the kids. Not looking forward to that!!

I also got my feelings hurt over a situation, and I honestly don't know if the hurt feelings are valid or not.

So, there you have it. That is my day. It has been a hard one. Not the post I wanted to make, but let's be real here. If I am going to post the good days, I should be willing to post the bad days, too.

It is hard when Rick is gone. It seems like many things start to fall apart. It is part of the sacrifice we make for ministry. Living out God's calling is not easy. Some might idealize the work that is done in orphan care and Africa. It is good and right and I wouldn't change it for anything, but with obedience to God's call also comes spiritual attack.

This attack is something very real that we deal with in this household, especially when Rick travels. I can feel it in the air. Emotions run high, kids and mom don't sleep as well, that makes everyone more grumpy, you get the cycle! Then, there are those freakish things that happen, like windows leaking, cars breaking down, etc. These are things out of my control, but the timing doesn't seem random.

So, we pray a lot and ask others to pray. Even last night I had a little "meeting" with the older kids and told them that God might want to speak to them during this time that Daddy is gone and challenged them to be seeking Him. I don't believe any of these events are random. So, I pray a little more, try to breathe a little deeper, and ask God to give me the eyes to see Him and His work.

2 comments:

  1. Srsly...WHAT'S with that window well!!! It's like it waits for this time of year. It needs to get with the program here! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some similar days when my husband, Keith, was in Swazi. I've been praying for you and the kids... and won't stop!

    ReplyDelete