Sunday, July 18, 2010

Challenged

I am being challenged by a book that I am reading. It is called "Radical" by David Platt.

Here are a few quotes that really jumped out at me this morning as I read in my room before anyone knew I was awake.(I am kind of sneaky like that sometimes.)

"This is how God works. He puts His people in positions where they are desperate for His power, and then He shows His provision in ways that display His greatness."

"This is the design of God among His people. He is giving unlikely people his power so it is clear who deserves the glory for the success that takes place."

Both of these quotes are good reminders to me that this thing is all about God, not me. It is about His glory and His greatness.

"God delights in using ordinary Christians who come to the end of themselves and choose to trust in His extraordinary provision. He stands ready to allocate His power to all who are radically dependent on Him and radically devoted to making much of Him."

"Why would we ever want to settle for Christianity according to our ability or settle for church according to our resources? The power of the one who raised Jesus from the dead is living in us, and as a result, we have no need to muster up our own might. Our great need is to fall before an Almighty Father day and night and to plead for Him to show His radical power in and through us, enabling us to accomplish for His glory what we could never imagine in our own strength. And when we do this, we will discover that we were created for a purpose much greater than ourselves, the kind of purpose that can only be accomplished in the power of His Spirit."

I am chewing on it. I am processing it. I am relieved to know it is not up to me. God is in control. I am at the end of myself and now choose to trust His extraordinary provision.

Now if I could just find a stinkin' highlighter in this house, maybe I can highlight these passages in my book!! (Yes, Rick, I am actually going to use a highlighter in a book!)

2 comments:

  1. I am also in the middle of that book. I actually had to set it down for awhile just to process it. Brian has highlighted all over it already so I don't have to wonder what impacted him.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished Radical a few weeks ago. Still processing some of it. Would love to talk with you about it sometime!

    ReplyDelete