Monday, July 26, 2010

Abby's 8th Bday - Monkey Mania

8 years ago, Sat., July 24th Abigail Elizabeth Clapp entered our world. We did not find out what we were having, but I just knew I was having a boy. While I was pregnant, I had a dream that she was a girl, but I didn't believe it. Boy was I surprised when my little girl was born. Because of this story, Abby's special song is called, "Dream Come True." The chorus says, "I don't know what your dreaming, but you're my dream come true. I can't believe I'm standing here looking down at you. I see your peaceful slumber smile and wonder if I'm dreaming, too. I don't know what your dreaming, but you're my dream come true, Abby, I love you."

Abby is CrAzY about monkeys!! This was her year to have a friend party, so for months we have been brainstorming about her big day.
We started the day with a family breakfast.
We had monkey bread and coffee Rick brought home from Africa.
The Birthday Girl in her Birthday Chair!
Proud Mom and Dad with their little Monkey
(I don't know if you can tell by the picture, but she is
wearing monkey earrings, a monkey necklace, and a monkey shirt)
We planned a few activities for the party. The first one was a hunt for "fruit" in the back yard. By "fruit" I mean those plastic fruits full of flavored powder. Whoever found the hidden wooden banana got a special prize.
Abby spotted a piece of "fruit."
The crew of monkeys at Abby's party.
Abby did most of the decorating herself(yeah, kind of funny to decorate for your own party. This girl knows what she wants and then goes for it.) She worked for days preparing. She made signs, had Rick print out pictures of monkeys from his trip, and put up banners and streamers.
This was her favorite creation.
For the menu, we had bananas,(Abby doesn't like bananas, but she didn't think it would be a true monkey party without them.) funyons,(because if you bite them just right, they look like a banana.) monkey munch, lemonade, and ice cream cake with monkeys on it. She also had little pink chinese take out boxes for the goody bags. They each had a bean bag monkey, some candy from Africa, and some other girly stuff.
The girls also painted little ceramic monkeys.
Abby created a game. She made a tree on a box with a hole in it. The girls had to throw bean bag monkeys into the tree.
Poor monkeys
Abby and her monkey cake
She had a great time with her friends. She got lots of fun gifts. Some of them were fun monkey things like a watch, lunch box, slippers, flashlight, and puzzle.

That night we went to Red Robin as a family. That is a rare event for us. We get so many looks when we are out in public. As we parade through the restaurant to our seats, it seems our little caravan of people never ends. It is quite the spectacle.
The kids really enjoyed dinner.
They sang to Abby, but I didn't get a picture because Laila was grabbing for my drink the whole time and I couldn't keep her contained and get the camera out all at the same time!!
Abby has such a servant's heart. She really is a HUGE help to me. She loves taking care of Isaiah and Laila. Sometimes, I even have to tell her to go play and let me take care of them. She takes on more responsibility than I even ask of her. She loves to clean and organize and does a really good job.

Rick's recent trip to Africa has really impacted her. I think hearing the stories and seeing the pictures has stirred something in her heart. She has decided to raise money for Swaziland. She is doing art work and giving massages.
Here is her sign at the bottom of the stairs:
She is only charging $1.00 for a massage so you better hurry over and get in line. I hear her schedule is filling up really fast. She has already raised $2.00.

Abby,
I am so thankful you are my daughter. You are a true example of a servant. I pray that God continues to stir in your heart the desire to help others and that through following that calling you will experience blessing and fulfillment. You add so much to our family. You make me laugh. You help me out. You follow your heart even when it leads you in a different path than those around you. I admire your independent spirit, and believe God will use that to call you to something really extraordinary. I love you, Abba dabba doo!!
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment