Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Now, Wasn't That Fun!?!?

Oh, how I wish I had my camera with me yesterday. It was quite the day. My words will have to create the pictures for you.

The day started with a visit for Abby with a pediatric cardiologist. Abby has been having horrible headaches for almost a year now. We have run almost every test imaginable on her. Because she had some heart issues when she was born, we needed to check out if her headaches could be a symptom of a bigger problem. After an EKG and an ultrasound on her heart, I am very relieved to say that her heart is working just fine!! At this point, her headache diagnosis is migraines. How sad it that? An 8 year old with migraines.

After our dr. visit, we took Abby on her very belated bday date. She chose On the Border. It was a great lunch. I was soooo sad not to have pictures of it, but the opportunity arose to take her and we had to take advantage of it. Little did we know, our adventures for the day were just beginning.

As Abby and I were heading to pick up Lauren, Laila, and Isaiah, who were at Bria's house(thanks, Bria), my truck stopped. We were sitting at a stop light and it died. It would not restart!! I called Rick, and thankfully he was still at the office. He came to rescue us. Seconds after he arrived, a friend was driving by and had his big truck(thanks so much for stopping, Dave!!). He and Rick got things set up so that he could pull me to the garage that repairs our vehicles.

I don't know if you have ever tried to steer, brake, and be pulled by another vehicle, but it was so hard!! I had to keep the strap from loosening and had no power brakes are steering. So, I was having to press my foot into the brake non stop with all my might. I was a nervous wreck the whole time. By the time we got to where we were going(did I mention that there was construction along the way making the drive even more complicated?) I was shaking all over. It was also pretty hot and of course we didn't have any air conditioning.

Rick brought Abby and me home. He then went and got the other 3 and brought them home. It felt so good just to be home. Then, we got the call. It was the fuel pump. Between the fuel pump, cleaning out all the fuel lines, and the labor it was over $900!!! I don't know about you, but if I am going to spend almost $1,000 I really want to enjoy it. This, quite frankly, was not all that enjoyable. Oh, well.

I can look back and see God's hand in so many ways. Rick was in town. He was nearby. Dave showed up. I only had one kid with me. I was fairly close to the garage we go to. The kids didn't have school. Bria was willing to watch the kids as long as needed. Another friend, Michelle B., "happened" to be driving by and offered to help as well.

When we got home, the kids had some work to do. Let's just say, they weren't too thrilled. There was much whining, weeping, wailing, you get the picture. After my day, I was just done. I just wanted to run or scream or punch something. The little ones wouldn't take their naps. It was lovely, really.

One of those days. We all have them. The most important thing is that Abby is okay. Her heart is healthy. I would take an unhealthy truck over a unhealthy child any day.

Guess what? They had our truck fixed by the evening. We were able to go get it and not have to worry about vehicle issues today or even the rest of the week as school starts. As I was driving home the song "Bad Day" came on the radio. I thought that was fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment