Thursday, April 15, 2010

Headed to the U.S.A.

*I have to start this post by saying that I have no pictures to document this post. We were so traumatized at this point that pictures were a luxury that we could not even consider. So, I have my recollections to remember this time last year!!

On this day last year, we were spending our last day in Africa completing the process with the U.S. Embassy. You would think the last day would be pretty relaxed and just spent preparing to leave. Not, so for us. We spent that day running around "Amazing Race style" praying all the way that we would actually be able to leave on the flight out of Joburg that we were scheduled on that night.

It really came down to the wire and I did not breathe a sigh of relief until we were sitting on the plane. Then, the real adventure began. Here is how the last day unfolded for us:

First, I really need to tell you about the day before in order for you to get the full emotion of this day. On April 14, we had appointments first thing in the morning at the U.S. Embassy. They had been closed the week before for Easter and because they were moving their offices. That alone had already delayed our return trip by over a week.

Now, it was finally time to meet with someone from our culture who spoke our language!! That was huge at this point. We were supposed to leave our hotel at 7:45 in the morning. The van that was supposed to take us did not show up!! This was not a good way to start the day. When we finally get to the Embassy, we are told that we need more "passport" pictures and medical reports to proceed.

We then find out that not only do we not have all of the medical reports that we need, but that the Dr. will not sign one particular form for us because Isaiah had a positive TB skin test. He then proceeds to tell us that we may have to stay in the country with Isaiah for another 6 months for him to complete TB treatment. It didn't matter that he was not active. It didn't matter that his chest x-rays were clear. It didn't matter that we had info that indicated he had already been on TB treatment at the orphanage. We were frantic at this point. We started making phone calls to try to get some info that this dr. would accept so that we could get that paper signed.

I can't even describe the spiritual oppression that surrounded us that day. Every obstacle was put in our way, from the van not arriving to Isaiah's pictures not developing and having to take them a second time. We sat in that dr. office all day long waiting for some breakthrough. It was a tiny office. It was hot. Isaiah and Laila were so restless. Just a few nights before, during the night, God took me to Psalm 59. I didn't really understand why at the time because at that point, I thought the battle was over. During this day, I remembered those verses. I remembered Isaiah 43 and I remembered the song, "Counting on God." Those were the only things that helped me make it through that day.

After almost 8 hours of battling, a resolution was arrived at and the Dr. signed the necessary paperwork. Now we were running a race against the clock. The U.S. Embassy closed at 4:00. It was 3:15 and we had to travel across town. We made it!! Our interview was completed and we were told that our visas would be ready the next day before lunch. We could not travel until we received those. That night was full of anxiety for me. If we missed that flight, we would have to pay over $1,000 to change our flights and we would have to wait another day to return home. That seemed unbearable at that point.

We woke up on April 15th and checked our email immediately. The Embassy said they would send us an email when the visas were ready. The morning dragged on and on. I can't even tell you how long that day felt. Finally, we got a call. Rick had to rush to the Embassy. I had to pack our stuff and we headed to the airport. We still had to get things cleared up with Isaiah and Laila's tickets so Rick went to stand in a line that was a mile long and was not moving. Once again we were battling against time. Our flight time was getting closer and he was not close to being done. In the meantime, I am stuck with Isaiah and Laila in the crazy airport line to check our baggage. Isaiah is antsy and disobeying. Laila is heavy and tired. I just didn't think I could survive one more minute of this journey. Little did I know that the day was only beginning for me. The next 30 hours of my life would be exhausting and would cause me to question everything we had done.

Finally, we boarded the plane. What a relief. Isaiah had lost his shoe in the process, but we were all there, ready to head home. In the past, I considered that flight somewhat relaxing. I could watch movies, they brought my food to me, and Lunesta always helped me to sleep. Not so with children. I don't want to do that flight again with children for a long time. We had a middle row that we filled. Rick's and Isaiah's TVs did not work. For much of the flight, Isaiah and Laila were both in my lap. They would sleep short amounts and then out of the blue regularly throughout the night Isaiah would just start screaming uncontrollably. I remember sitting there just wanting to cry and thinking in my head, "What have we done? Have we just made the biggest mistake of our lives?" It was a long, lonely flight.

Feeding them was difficult. Isaiah had a major blowout. I actually just threw those pajamas away. I did not want to take that home with me!! So, I am arriving in the U.S. with my African child who has no shoes or pants!! That's attractive.

It was hard, but it felt so good to land in the U.S. Tomorrow I will share about that first day home. The day that we are celebrating because we were FINALLY a family.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Wow. Makes the worst labor story seem pretty tame.

    ReplyDelete