Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Story Egg Hunt

Traditions are not easy. If anything, they involve a lot of work and sometimes result in frustration. That doesn't change my mind about doing them. I believe in the sense of family they create. I believe in the lessons that they teach.

Some blogs have beautiful pictures of acting out traditions in the perfect little setting. Everyone is dressed perfectly with beautiful smiles. Well, let me tell you, this is not one of those blogs. I did my first Easter tradition with Isaiah and Laila. Don't get me wrong, there were some sweet moments that I will share, but all in all it was quite the disaster. Mostly because little Laila has hit the "terrible twos" a few months early. Let me tell you, sista has an attitude!! It has been in full form today.

Here is our Easter Story Egg Hunt:
Laila began by throwing a little fit. She was mad because she didn't want to take a picture with her Easter basket.
Laila in her fit.
It is really hard to take a picture of a kid when they are flailing.
Then, we got them to stand together, but she still refused to look at the camera.
Laila got mad and swung her basket. It hit Isaiah in the head.
The water works are flowing
This is Laila stomping away in anger.
Finally, she begins hunting eggs.
Things were so crazy that I didn't get a picture of Isaiah hunting the eggs. Once again, chick wouldn't look at the camera. I had to give them each jelly beans to get them to sit still long enough to open each of the eggs and talk about what was inside.
The sweetest part was next. We opened the eggs and talked about each element and how it related to the Easter story. When I got to the part about the cross and that Jesus died on the cross, Isaiah said, "Oh, no." It was so sweet to see him grasping a tiny bit and that it impacted him.
Then, we came to the nail. I told them that Jesus had "owies" on his hand when they nailed him to the cross. I said it in a really sad voice. Laila looked at me and said, "You, okay, mommy. It's okay mommy." Then she offered me a pretend snack. (Obviously food is one of her love languages!) Precious, precious.
After we finished the eggs and talked about Jesus being alive and defeating death, we sang "Up from the Grave He Arose," one of my favorite Easter songs. We acted it out as we sang it and celebrated Jesus being alive.

You never know when you do these things how much they really impact the kids or if they are old enough to grasp any of it. When I was tucking Isaiah in for his nap, he asked me in a really sad voice, "God got 'owies' on his hand?" It was so sweet and we talked again about how Jesus took those "owies" so that we could go to Heaven. I love watching my children begin their spiritual journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment