Saturday, April 17, 2010

Food Challenge - Halfway

We reached the halfway point for our food challenge for the month.

We are almost out of any of the forbidden ingredients in our house.

The really bad part is that I have spent a whole month's grocery budget in only 2 weeks!

This was my biggest concern with changing our diets.

I cannot afford to double my grocery budget each month.

We do have reserves around here.

It looks like the rest of the month, I need to focus on cooking with what I have.

I am going to try to buy as little as possible and see how much I go over in the end.

I would love any hints on saving money while eating healthy.

I have tried all the ones that I have read and so far, not making much of a difference.

The challenge continues.

2 comments:

  1. Laura, I drive to Castle Rock for church each Sunday, and plan in a trip to Sprouts (way better than Sunflower). I will often plan my meals around what is on sale in a given week. Last week, I got a 10lb bag of potatoes for $.99 (not per pound, for the whole bag!). This week will include whole chicken legs for $.77/lb, $.88 blackberries, avocados, celery, and baby carrots. I also buy a lot of all natural and organic items at Costco, they seem to have a much better variety of them than Sam's. I do have to be careful about going there, since it can be so easy to overybuy, but with some dedication and occasional coupons, it can be a real help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, give us some more info on what you're buying that's so expensive, and we can help be on the lookout for good prices for you. What's your status with coupons? I get the Denver Post for the sole purpose of coupons, and I could easily keep some of your key items that you buy in mind, and if I ever see coupons, I can put them in the mail to ya. I saw that Smart Balance stuff is 50% off this week at Kings (until Tuesday), including their Omega-3 eggs, so they are $1.34 and I have $1 off 2 coupons, so 84¢/dozen. (They happen to be out when I went, but will try to find some this week). I know you mentioned omega eggs rather than the cheap eggs.

    I love Sunflower and shop there on Double-Ad Wednesdays. SpringsBargains usually has a recap on Tuesday of the best deals for the next day. I can see how with that many people in the family it would be really hard to keep track of all the food you need, a price list, coupons, etc. Much less a meal plan! Ugh! I am so proud of you, and keep us in the loop of specifics so we can help cut that grocery bill! :)

    ReplyDelete