Saturday, November 6, 2010

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

There were many titles that I considered for this post like, "Hallelujah! " "Too Good To Be True," "Potty in the U.S.A.," and even "It Is Not Supposed To Be This Easy."

I have hesitated to write this post because I was afraid I would jinx myself. Do you remember the post about the Poop Fest that Isaiah and Laila had exactly 11 days ago. As horrible as that day was, it actually was the beginning of something beautiful.

Laila has been very resistant to the idea of potty training. I gave her some Princess Tiana panties for her 2nd Bday. When she realized what they were, she threw them across the room in anger. She didn't want to have anything to do with them. Any time going potty had been mentioned to her over the last few months, she would grumpily shout, "No!" I just have not had the energy to engage it so I kind of put January in my mind as the time to really go for it.

When I have potty trained the other 5 children, it is quite the ordeal. I use the "Toilet Training In Less Than A Day" method. It is quick and intense. When they were actually ready, all of my kids have potty trained within a week of introducing it. My girls actually did it in 2 days. It requires that I basically devote a week of my time to focus solely on potty training with that particular child. I have supplies that I have to get together like treats, a baby doll, potty seat, underwear, etc.

I feel like I can officially say that Laila is potty trained!!!!!!(I can't put enough exclamation points to fully express my delight). But, I really can't take credit. I have not had to work very hard at all on this one, and it was quite surprising.

Let's go back to that horrid day of the Poop Fest. When the big kids came home from school, I told them all about the ordeal. Lauren immediately went to Laila and said, "Laila, are you ready to be a big girl and use the potty and wear your Princess Tiana panties?" Laila responded with a fervent, "YES!" Lauren took her to the potty and Laila proceeded to poop and pee!! It was AMAZING!!

11 days later, she has continued potty training herself. We have had 5 days without accidents even including adventures outside the house. She has made it through shopping trips, at someone else's house, and even at church. I can't even believe this. I am so glad to have this done. It was so easy and my girls were such a big help.
Laila's first time on the potty.
Lauren entertained her by letting her comb her hair.
She is now so proud of her Princess Tiana Panties
We have lots of fun potty songs we sing. She ASKS to go potty. It really is a beautiful thing. I also get to save money in my grocery budget now.

She is still wearing diapers at night and during nap. She wasn't thrilled about that, but once again, Lauren to the rescue. She came up with the idea that we could put her diaper on and then put her panties over the diaper. That has worked perfectly, and Laila still thinks she is wearing her panties.

This is a huge milestone!! It feels so good to have it done. I never imagined it would be so easy this time!!

1 comment: