Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Encouragement

I have to say that my conversation with Isaiah yesterday really shook me to the core.

I have felt so sad and unsettled.

I have been parenting for over 12 years, but this whole adoption thing and the issues that accompany it are a whole new ballgame for me.

As an adoptive parent, there are underlying emotions to consider in parenting.

I tend to question myself a lot. I tend to wonder if certain behaviors are more than they appear.

Is he acting this way because he is an active, stubborn, passionate 3-year old, or does it have some connection to the fact that he is adopted, and he is expressing that pain right now?

I will never regret our decision, but at times, I hurt so deeply for the pain that my children will have to experience as the result of being adopted.

It is another example of a fallen world. A world where no child should have to be without parents.

In a perfect world our children would be raised by their biological parents. For Isaiah and Laila, that is not what happened.

I am so thankful for all of your encouraging comments. They really have ministered to me.

Thank you for joining us in this journey. Thank you for carrying this pain with us. Thank you for loving our kids so deeply.

I woke up early this morning, and God ministered to me through His Word.

In my current Bible reading, I was ready for Matthew 18. Verses 1-14 jumped off the page at me. You can read them here.

I was amazed that God had these verses for me on this day. He is in control. He spoke to me deeply about my calling to shepherd Isaiah and Laila.

There are many more questions that will come up. Some of you have given me some great tips on how to answer those questions. Keep the tips coming.

When it is all said and done, God has a plan. He has a plan for Isaiah and Laila. He has a plan for our family.

This sadness that I am experiencing is part of His plan to help me love my children well.

2 comments:

  1. hey! i've been reading...and praying...just wanted you to know! hope you all have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    I read your post and I felt encouraged to write. Don't look at being a mixed family as a negative experience for them. It is such a huge blessing. These kids are able to love beyond the color of their skin, they know nothing else. This is a strength given by God not a pain to worry about. I always think of it as they can love without blinders on. They are the next level of lovers, of warriors exhibiting love for all as God teaches us to. Since my kids are bi-racial, they don't look like me or their father, they are a race of their own. We've had the questionaire issues for school - "Mom, do I fill in white, black or other?" - and it makes us laugh.
    End point, your family will not be disadvantaged in God's kingdom because you are white and black together. Keep your eyes fixed on God's kingdom, not the trappings of this short-lived, subordinate world.
    Okay, sorry, I had to take the soap box for a minute. Hope you have a good trip! It was great seeing you again!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete