Monday, November 1, 2010

Glen Eyrie

Lauren had a field trip to Glen Eyrie on Friday. I am not a huge fan of field trips, but this one was really good. I am so glad I was able to go. Glen Eyrie Castle was the home of General Palmer, the founder of Colorado Springs. It is over 100 years old. It is now owned by the Navigators and is used for conferences and training. I had been to Glen Eyrie for tea and to show visitors periodically, but I had never been on a tour and had no idea of the history of it.

The weather was beautiful. Here is the a picture of the castle:
Lauren
CO Scenery


We toured the castle and learned all about the history of it and the Palmer family. It reminds me of some of the homes like "My Old Kentucky Home" that I have toured back east. I enjoy seeing the "modern" advances that they had in these older homes. General Palmer was wealthy and seemed to have the best of everything. He brought a lot of things to Colorado like milk pasteurization.
Lauren in front of the knight
Lauren's class
It really was interesting to learn about General Palmer and his life. It is sad to me that I have lived here for 10 years and had no idea about the history of this beautiful place. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to share this time with Lauren.

No comments:

Post a Comment