Monday, September 13, 2010

Who Knew?

Well, I haven't blogged in a several days, but who knew that my first blog post back would be this one?

Today was a bit scary, but in the midst of it all, we have seen and experienced God's hand.

As I was picking the kids up from school today, I received a phone call from "Rick" on my phone. When I answered, it wasn't Rick, but his assistant, Jessica. She then proceeds to tell me that Rick has been having chest pains and an ambulance is on the way. I was thinking, "is this a joke?" Well, let me just say, it wasn't.

Basically, Rick was having chest pain. It escalated and became very painful. He turned a weird color and felt like he was going to pass out. After evaluating him, the EMTs felt it best to take him to the hospital for further evaluation.

I immediately got the kids to the Fowler's house(I was really close by). Then headed to meet them at the hospital. It was such a relief to see him and see that he was okay.

God really showed Himself to us so much during this process.

First of all, Rick was at the office when all of this happened. If he had been alone or driving, who knows how it would have ended up.

Second, the EMTs that came to check on him were both believers and were such a blessing to both of us in the process.

Third, and this one really amazes me. The dr. who was assigned to him was a friend that we hadn't seen in a while. He actually went with us on our first trip to Swaziland. The really cool thing is that he was not working in the area that Rick was brought in, but was asked to go take care of Patient #23 because the other doctor was busy with a cardiac arrest. Rick was Patient #23 and it calmed our hearts greatly to have him caring for Rick. He even stayed later than his shift to make sure he was okay.

Finally, we are so blessed by the outpouring of prayers, phone calls, email messages, and texts. People just stepped up right away and took care of our kids and have made offers to help in any way possible. God continues to amaze me by the community of people that are surrounding us. It is in times like these where we realize how blessed we are.

After many tests and evaluations by the doctor, it appears that Rick's heart is fine. As a precaution, they are keeping him overnight at the hospital. They will continue to check his enzymes for any indication of a problem with his heart. Tomorrow, he will also do a stress test. They checked his gall bladder, but that was inconclusive. The doc really believes it is gastrointestinal, but is playing it safe. The hope is that he will be released tomorrow!

What good blogger would go through a situation like this without taking pictures? Not me!
Rick in his beautiful gown
The red eyes are not an indication of a serious condition! : )
They are just an indication of my wimpy camera!
I just had to take a picture of his "Cardiac Cold Tray"
Isn't this just an exquisite meal?
I left him to come home and be with the kids for the night. I felt like being home with them would assure them that Daddy is doing okay. They were emotional, and rightly so.

We would love your continued prayers. Moments like these really wake you up to the reality of what is truly important.

6 comments:

  1. I will be praying for Rick. How scary, but I sense God's presence in the midst of it all as you shared in your blog. It puts everything in perspective, for sure. We hope Rick feels much better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, thank you for sharing the details. Maea and I are praying as is mom (she always asks about you two!). I am sure you are being inundated with many offers to help, but if there is anything odd, or forgotten about please let us know. We would jump at the chance to assist if needed. Continuing to pray... Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all that is going on and taking care of all your little ones it is so sweet of you to take a few minutes to let us all know what happened. There is nothing more scarey as when something like this happens to your husband. Larry and I will keep Rick and your entire family in our prayers. Sorry I am all the way in Texas or you know I would be right there. We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting. I've been on pins and needles all day. When will this year END, Lord? I am so thankful that Rick is Ok - I will talk to you soon. Be peaceful tonight; the Lord is watching over you. I'm reminded of that verse (somewhere!) that says that the Lord doesn't slumber or sleep - I hope that gives your heart permission to do so! Hugs and so so so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (((((((((THE CLAPP TRIBE))))))))))

    praying for all esp You and Rick!

    XO

    ReplyDelete