Monday, December 14, 2009

Surrounded By Chaos

My life is chaotic. I have come to terms with that. Hey, I even signed up for it. There are different levels of chaos that exist in our home at different times. This morning was one of those rip your hair out, run and hide kind of chaotic times.

I have already shared that with 6 children there is someone who is upset, angry, or hurt at all times. I live my life expecting that. This morning, I think everyone had some issue going on as we struggled to get out the door for school.

It started with the usual, "I don't feel good" and "I can't go to school today," by two of them. After taking temperatures and examining throats, I determined there was no reason to keep anyone home today. Then we had a sensory disaster that occurred. Now that Cody is older, he has really learned to manage his sensory struggles mostly on his own. This morning was the exception. He recently got some new tennis shoes(for any of you with sensory kids, you know what an ordeal new shoes can be). They have been great. These shoes have these weird "vents" in the bottom. I can only assume it is Reeboks new technology to aerate the feet and keep them dry. Well, a stick had gotten caught in the "vent" area creating a "Princess and the Pea" dilemma. Most kids would not even notice the problem, but for Cody, it would distract, irritate, and ruin his day. He is a problem solver. He figured out how to use a safety pin to try to get the stick out. Problem: The safety pin was Lauren's and she didn't want to share. So, we are loading up, Cody is a total mess and because he is a verbal processor, he is processing all over the place and it is not pretty. I just pray every morning when our garage door opens that no one is around. There is so much yelling and playing and fussing there is no telling what their interpretation of our family would be.

Here is the scene in our truck on the way to school:
Cody is freaking out about his shoe. Lauren is refusing to let him use the safety pin. Sam is trying to read a book to Lauren that needs to be read one more time before he returns it to school. Isaiah is yelling, asking for music. Laila is fine. Abby is crying about a headache. I lose my cool and yell. I give a lecture about how they treat each other and ask why you wouldn't help your brother if you could. I also discuss the way that they are talking to each other. Silence. I pray silently, not only for patience but for Cody to get this shoe thing fixed. Believe me, if he doesn't get it fixed, he will have a VERY BAD day at school. I apologize. They all look teary eyed. Check off a big failure for me on today's checklist.

I try to figure out how to give Abby some medicine for her headache(yes, I keep ibuprofen in my truck. I highly recommend it.). Cody has fixed his shoe enough to survive. I send the 4 older kids on their way to school wishing that we hadn't started our day out so crazy. The minute the truck door closes, Isaiah begins his usual, "Where's Cody, etc." We go through the list a few times then head to the dr. office. Isaiah has his 3 yr. visit. 1 1/2 hours later we leave with him crying over his shot and me worried about the possibility that this viral thing he has going on is going to result in his body being covered with these horrible blister looking things that will then result in him being covered in scars for the rest of his life.

We ran a few errands and the icing on the cake was when Isaiah patted the man at Vitamin Cottage on the butt!! Beautiful. Really proud moment for me.

Grace. I need it. My kids need it. We are just a bunch of grace hungry people. I am thankful that God's grace is sufficient for ME!!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh Laura. Once again, I so appreciate your honesty. It seems like every morning my level of frustration rises 100% juuuust as we are trying to get out the door for school so we're not late. There has never been a time, that I can remember, when all the kids are in the car ready, while I go set the alarm for the house, that someone isn't crying or yelling when I come back and get in the driver seat. I don't allot enough time in the mornings because I'm not a morning person, and "the little things" come up last minute, which doesn't help! I feel for you BIG TIME, and I know what you're sayin. Don't pull all your hair out cuz Isaiah would probably be really sad that it was gone. :) I pray tomorrow morning is a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have mornings like this (or so it feels like) and we are only 3. I have no idea how you do it. You deserve a few freakouts here and there:) You are only human supermom:)

    ReplyDelete