Friday, October 16, 2009

6 Months Home!!

Today marks the 6-month mark since we returned to the U.S. and our family was together for the first time with Isaiah and Laila. This feels like a huge milestone for me. As we were planning to bring them home, 6 months always stood out to me as the major adjustment phase. Now we are here. Just a year ago, we were clinging to the hope that God would do miracles to make this possible. It was at this time last year I was learning that adoption from a country very dear to us might become legal, and we would have the opportunity to fulfill this amazing calling God had placed on our family. Now, we are a family forever. We all know it. We all love each other. We may not look like the typical family in many ways, but that does not deny the fact that Isaiah and Laila are as much my children as the 4 that God birthed from my body. I love them deeply, and I think of the mom who did not get to see them as they are today. I pray that as we raise these two little ones our actions will honor her. That her life goes on through them. I feel both joy and sadness as I am thankful they are in my life, but realize it is the result of a great loss in their own lives. The emotions of raising adopted children has brought a new level of trust in God for me as a mom. I have to trust that God knows their past and their pain and that He will lead and guide me as I walk with them through that. I have to trust him as I love them and as I discipline them. It has been a fearful experience for me. I have felt unequipped at times, but God has been faithful to reveal Himself, and I couldn't ask for Isaiah and Laila to be more attached to us. This is only the beginning of the rest of our lives.

The Clapp Tribe

The first picture we saw of Sanele (Jan. '09)
In this picture we saw a little guy that looked fearful and unhealthy

Our little guy now, Isaiah Sanele(Sept. '09)
He is vibrant and passionate and brings energy wherever he goes

The picture we saw of Temalangeni(Jan. '09)
A blurry picture, but I examined every detail over and over.
All of her pictures were characterized by a furrowed, worried brow.

Our little sweetie now, Laila Nomathemba (July '09)
Her personality has blossomed. She is beautiful and joyful, our "hope in the darkness"
How blessed we are!! How thankful we are!! What a privilege we have!!
Lord, give us the wisdom and grace to parent ALL of our children well. Bless us with the opportunity to walk with others in the adoption process.

2 comments:

  1. This post brings tears to my eyes - what a joyful milestone! I'm so moved by the "before & after" pictures. Wow. I keep thinking of that verse (somewhere in the Bible!) "Whatever you do unto the least of these, you do unto me." You are certainly living that out in the most clear way I've ever been close to. I love you, friend!

    PS. 5:12am??????? What the what?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was moved by the before and afters as well. so powerful. the love of God CHANGES us...you can see that in BOTH of their little eyes.
    love you.
    proud of you.

    ReplyDelete