Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Family Hiking, Take 2

I don't know if you remember, but a few weeks ago, we decided to live like Coloradans(something we don't do very often) and go for a family hike. It didn't turn out so well. We ended up broken down on the side of the interstate in our last ride of the torture tube.

I am not really a hikey, campy sort of girl. I am a beach girl. I saw the movie "Soul Surfer" yesterday and cried through the whole thing. Not just because it was emotional, but because I so desperately want to live near a beach. I would go to the beach EVERY DAY if we lived near one and could totally be one of those surfin' beach families with sand in my showers and sunkissed skin all year long. We would all have 10 swimsuits and 5 towels each and a system for going to the beach that never failed. Cody would get all the gear ready. Lauren would help me get the picnics put together, Abby would get Isaiah and Laila ready, and Sam would be in charge of towels and sunscreen. It would be so cool. If you can't tell, I have thought about this a lot.

Back to reality. I live in CO. Many people are very envious of that, but I must say, the mountains just don't do it for me. I have lived here for 11 years on Aug. 1 and it is time for me to embrace some of what this state has to offer. Don't you go thinkin' that I am going camping any time soon. Baby steps, people, baby steps. I am convinced that camping should be an activity our kids do with their dad, you know, their special thing.

So, once again we set out for a family hike. We decided to go to Castlewood Canyon State Park. We had been to a wedding there a few years ago and remembered thinking it would be cool to check it out again later. Off we went, snacks and water bottles prepared, proper clothing and shoes worn(we even all had 2 socks on!!). We arrived in the parking lot and proceeded to get on our sunscreen. I swear we had to look and sound like the Griswalds. It was hilarious really, and at this stage in the game I can laugh at things that would have had me in tears a couple of years ago.

We aren't very prepared for hiking. Only Lauren had a Camelbak to carry her water in. That left the rest of us to carry water bottles and snacks which kind of dampens the climbing on rocks experience. Note to self: If we are going to do this regularly, we need to buy Camelbaks.
Of course, this time I forgot my camera. We remembered halfway through that Rick could take a pic with his phone, but they didn't turn out that great.

During the hike we encountered a creek bed. We took off our shoes to wade around a bit in the cool water. It was a welcomed break in the midst of the heat. We found crawfish, which slightly creeped me out, but I held it together for the kids. I even managed to not freak out when we had to put our sandy feet back in our socks. I call that progress!
Isaiah was so excited to go "sploring."
I was getting into this hiking thing. I was thinking about the Biggest Loser. I was ready to push myself to the brink of exhaustion to accomplish something I never had before. I was going to come out on the other side of this hike a new woman, ready to meet new challenges. Next week would be the Incline and the week after that, Pikes Peak!! Then, it happened. Abby had to go to the bathroom. She would. not. go. outside. She was whining and crying. We discovered we were only 1/3 of the way through the trail and it would be easier to go back the way we came than to try to finish. 4 of our six chickens were getting restless and weary so we had to turn around. So much for my plans to conquer all the Peaks of Colorado.
Our 6 little chickens
I actually enjoyed the hike. I told Rick we should come back to do it all again without children. I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of my mouth. This state park was nice and worth every bit of the $7 admission fee for the clean bathrooms with real toilets. I want to do it again and finish it. I am making it sound like it was a grueling hike. It really wasn't, but it was a hike which is impressive for me. Who knows? Maybe I will start to embrace this Colorado thing. It is not the beach, but it will have to do for now.

After we loaded up, we found a playground for the kids to play on, then a treat of ice cream at Chick-fil-a. A little tip for you: Don't go to the Chick-fil-a in Castle Rock on a Saturday around lunch time. It was crazy busy.

The day was good. The first of many more adventures!!

2 comments:

  1. i absolutely LOVE your plan for all of the kids if you lived near a beach! sounds like it would work out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved soul surfer and want to live at the beach, too!!!

    ReplyDelete