Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Birthday!

June 12th was my 38th bday. I tend to dread Birthdays (and Mothers' Day) each year. Not because I am getting older, but because I always create these unrealistic expectations in my mind of what the day should be like. My kids for one day out of the year should obey perfectly, not fight, and treat me like a queen. Well, let me tell you, that is unfair to my family and causes me to end the day disappointed. As a result, all of the effort they do put into making my day special can be minimized. I don't see all that they have done, but focus on what I wish they had done.

I decided that I would approach it differently this year. I was going into my Birthday with no expectations. One thing that helped with that was the fact that we have VBB(Vacation Bible Blast) every year the week of my bday. It is kind of a bummer. I can always count on spending my bday doing something related to VBB. Cody and I committed a couple of months ago to the worship team. I love being a part of leading the kids in worship and getting to dance around on stage an be silly. I even got to do a little rap this year. It was really fun!!

Our VBB family event was scheduled on my bday. This is the day when families come with their children to VBB to see what we have been doing all week. The weather was really yucky(rainy and cold, the high was only in the low 50s!) and we had to be at the church by 8:15. So, my day started by grabbing some coffee!! We spent the morning at church doing our large group worship time and then participating in a carnival.
Cody and me leading worship!!
(Cody is in the bright blue shirt on the left and I am in the coral shirt in the middle)
After looking back on the pictures from this day, the thing that stands out to me is how tired I look!! The last couple of months have really taken a toll on me. Not only am I tired, but I need a tan!! I am looking pasty white. The kids gave me gifts. Below you will see the gift opening time, my favorite!! I love seeing what they choose to give me. It really shows me their hearts to love and bless me.
Sam gave me a cookie sheet(which I desperately needed) and some mentos(3 pkgs to be exact.)
Laila and Isaiah gave me Lindor Truffles. Love them!!
Do you remember me sharing about the Africa-shaped necklace that I lost while Rick was in Swaziland? Well, that impacted Lauren. She made me a new Africa necklace. She also gave me some awesome coupons that will be a huge help around the house!!
Cody gave me a magazine. I love reading magazines when I am on vacation.
They are a luxury that I usually can't fit into my everyday life.
Abby gave me Oreo cakesters and coupons. This girl knows my love languages.
Here I am reading the journal that they fill out for me each bday and Mothers' Day
You can read more about this idea here.
We had a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake to celebrate
(white cake, rocky road ice cream)
I took a little nap in the afternoon. That is always a treat for me. Rick and the kids began preparing for our trip by cleaning out the truck while I slept.

The day ended by Rick and I going on a date. I received some cards in the mail from friends and some cash from my mom and Rick's mom. Cash is one of my love languages, too. It really was a great day. It ended so much better than in the past when I have felt disappointed and a little angry that it wasn't perfect. This is a much better way to enjoy my bday and celebrate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment