Thursday, June 3, 2010

No Mother of the Year Award

Don't you hate it when you let down your kids?

By nature, I am a people pleaser.

It is even more important to me that I am there for my kids at the big moments and the moments when they need me the most.

Last night, I failed.

Lauren was in a small play at church.

She has been practicing her part as "Ruth."

They performed before their peers during their Wed. night activities.

I misunderstood about when it was supposed to start.

When I walked into the room, it was already over.

Lauren was devastated that I was not there.

No amount of words that I could say to her could make up for it.

I let her down.

I felt miserable all night.

I am sure she will be talking to a counselor about that moment some day.

I can't do it all, and I honestly did not miss this on purpose.

Now, I am left with a sad little girl that I need to work on gaining her trust in me again.

Just another day in the life of a mom.

I am guessing I won't be getting the "Mother of the Year Award" now.

3 comments:

  1. oh laura. i am so sorry. i wish i would've known when it was as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Laura --- I told the kids I wanted to see them all too -- and I also failed all of them. Lauren has such a forgiving heart and she is the sweetest girl, I'm sure she forgives you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, yes you DO get a mother of the year award!!!!!!! A mistake is just a mistake. It gives Lauren an opportunity to learn about grace. Every mother has those moments, Laura. Give yourself permission to fail, and teach those amazing kids of yours how to allow you to fail. I dub thee Mother of the Year. =)

    ReplyDelete