Monday, May 3, 2010

May Challenge

So, the April Challenge is over. I feel like I did pretty well at eliminating things from our diet. We are chugging right along without High Fructose Corn Syrup, Partially Hydrogenated Oils, and Artificial Sweeteners. I plan to continue that.

I will say, I have decided to make a few exceptions. I plan to chew sugar free gum. Trident has both xylitol and aspartame. Aspartame is pretty far down on the list so I am going to risk it on that one. I tried Spry gum. It was okay, but came in very small pieces and didn't keep its flavor very long. I have also decided that I just may have a soda every once in a while. Before the challenge, I was having one almost every day. For this month, I had about 5 natural sodas for the month. I don't really like them. By drinking them, I am just trying to convince myself that I do. So, after having a few sips of soda this past weekend on our trip, I decided I am going to have one every once in a while. I am not going back to my old ways, just for a treat.

That brings me to drinks in general. I like flavored drinks. I have said this before, but I want to elaborate. I really like Crystal Light Peach Tea, but it has aspartame so I gave it up. I also really like coffee occasionally with yummy flavored creamers and agave nectar. This month, I gave up the creamers and went to half and half. You know what I decided? I really don't like coffee that much. I mask it so much that it is really just a yummy treat by the time I get it. I also don't like alcohol. So, my options are limited when it comes to flavored drinks that I like that fit my guidelines. My decision: Definitely, I need to drink more water. Occasionally I may have a soda, I will try to incorporate more tea, and coffee will only be an occasional treat as well. That feels like a good balance for me at this point.

What I didn't do this month was try a green drink daily. I bought that last week and started it on Sunday. That is part of my challenge for this month, green drink every day. I also didn't really take the time to add flax to food so I will be adding that this month as well. I bought the good eggs and the good milk and did fish oil most days.

All in all, I would say this month was a success. I made some big changes in our diet that I plan to continue for the most part and add to this month. The real shock will come when I find out what I spent on groceries this month. I know I went over my budget. I just don't know how much yet.

The bigger challenge for me this month is exercise. We joined the Y. I told Rick I was going to make my challenge to exercise 3 days a week. He said, "You should make it one day a week." I said, "That is not a challenge." His response, "For you it is." Now, he does not mean that I personally can't or won't do it. He knows that realistically my life has so many variables out of my control that I would feel very defeated if I set my challenge and couldn't meet it. Sick kids and other circumstances out of my control will often derail my day. So, I am following his advice. One day a week to REALLY exercise, more if I can make it work.

I haven't truly exercised in a long time. Adopting Isaiah and Laila and caring for them has been my exercise. My body went into shock when we brought them home. I was carrying both of them weighing over 20 lbs. each a lot. I was in so much pain. Then, Isaiah broke his leg and Laila still couldn't walk so I had 2 children that needed to be carried or pulled around in the wagon all the time. It was hard. That doesn't count the sickness I dealt with for 10 months. I wasn't eating hardly anything. Exercise was out of the question at that point.

So, there you have it. My challenges for this month: exercise, green drink, and flax along with continuing the things from last month.

I will say with the fits that Laila has thrown today, I think restraining her flailing tantrums multiple times should count as my exercise for the week!!! I think she is punishing me for leaving her for 4 days!!

1 comment:

  1. Laura, with the extra kids I watch I am only able to make it in the evenings or on weekends but if you are able to work out any of those times I am a member of the Y too. Not many people know that as infrequent as my visits are but I am trying to change that :)

    ReplyDelete