Friday, November 13, 2009

A Bump in the Laundry Road

All in all this kids doing their laundry thing has been a huge help. It really has lightened my load and even the burden that I feel. We have hit a bump and today I am hosting a refresher course for the children. Attendance is required.

I just spent the last hour extensively cleaning my laundry room. It was a mess. Detergent and Fabric softener everywhere, just gunky. So, I cleaned it and when the kids get home we are going to talk about how to use those products without a huge mess and a huge amount of wastefulness.

The second thing is putting away our laundry. We are getting it clean, but then it is sitting in piles in the bedrooms. That is really not okay with me. So, today I am going to remind them how we bring a warm load fresh from the dryer and immediately begin to fold, sort, and lay out neatly to hang up. The way things are going now, they always have clothes all over their rooms sometimes clean and sometimes dirty.

I really thought having the kids do their own laundry would cause them to use less clothes. That has not been the case so far. It seems that before they have completed their weekly laundry, their clothes hamper is approaching full again. So, another thing I need to think about.

With the kids in school, laundry gets backlogged quite a bit and I find I can't get mine done(Isaiah and Laila's clothes, Rick's and my clothes, towels, and sheets). I don't know how to solve this problem. I will find that it can take days to get theirs done because they are only changing it out in the evenings. That locks up the machines all day while I am at home and could do some. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

All in all, I am glad I made the switch. My biggest concern, stain removal, has not been an issue at all. They love treating those stains and are doing a good job at it. I think they are doing pretty good considering they have only been doing this about a month. I will let you know how the mandatory meeting goes.

1 comment:

  1. start with the older kids having their own laundry day. If, for instance, Cody has Tues night and Lolly has Thurs night, then you know Mon will for sure be open as will Friday...whatever. That way, they accept responsibility for spreading their clothes to ge to their day, and you know when your machines are open. You can also "switch" with your kids when you need the machines more aggressively than they do. AND, you can then monitor who's making the mess: if the room was clean pre-Abby, then you know you've got your mess-maker.

    ReplyDelete