Friday, April 29, 2011

Conversations With Preschoolers

I love to have random conversations with Isaiah and Laila. That is one of the things I will miss the most when they are no longer preschoolers. I will so miss the honesty with which they speak. Their words are unfiltered and not politically correct. They don't follow the social rules of what to say and what not to say. Sometimes their words are hurtful and other times, very flattering. I am thankful that even at 2 and 4 they are able to express their emotions very clearly.Some times when they talk, I laugh so hard, I just can't stand it. I want to freeze time in that moment of humor and innocence.

Just last week, Rick and I were having a "discussion" in the truck. We weren't truly fighting, but Isaiah didn't see it that way at all. He proceeded to lecture us for about 15 minutes on the fact that "we are a family and we don't fight. We love each other and care for each other. That's what families do. We share and take turns and don't argue with each other." Then, he looked at Laila and said, "Right, Laila." She responded, "Right, Bubby." It was so adorable.

I wanted to share some of the conversations we had this morning in the truck.

Out of the blue, he said, "Mama, I wish we could wake up all the neighbors and feed them gumbo!" Now, let me just say, I have never made gumbo in my life. Isaiah may have had gumbo once at the Fowler's house. I have no idea where this thought came from in his head. It was random and stated with passion.

Laila and I had a relational crisis over the music selections this morning. I had our "Current Hits" playlist playing and Justin Bieber's "Somebody to Love" came on. I don't care for that song, so I skipped over it. Laila went ballistic on me. "Mommy, I yike(like) that song. I want to hear my song." I had no idea of her attachment to that song. I finished the song I was listening to and she said, "Mommy, I sad. You break my heart." I asked her why and she responded, "You changed my song." Well, excuse me. We then listened to her song. Isaiah then lectured us about how we have to take turns choosing songs. I love being parented by my child.

The final conversation started when Isaiah said, "Mommy, I love you so much. I want to marry you. I want to marry you all day. Let's get married tomorrow, okay?" I said, "That makes me feel really special, Isaiah. Did you know that I am married to Daddy? I can only be married to one person. What are we going to do about that?" He responded, "You should marry me instead."

These little conversations are memories I want to keep in my heart and mind forever!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, these are the cutest stories. Thank you for giving me the gift of a good giggle today.

    ReplyDelete