Tuesday, February 15, 2011

(Sort of) Quiet Evening

There is really no such thing as a "quiet evening" in this house, but last night came close. I followed through with my plan for pizza and a movie.
I did not get the Whirley Pop out so don't tell my kids that I mentioned it. I know it really doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but it is. Let me just explain. I make the popcorn, pretty easy. Then, I fill 6 cups to hand out. At least 3 of those cups get spilled at various times throughout the night. Sometimes the same cup gets spilled/knocked over 3 times! Then there is some sort of aftermath from that to deal with. It is either crying over spilled popcorn or an argument of some sort with the sibling that knocked over the popcorn. Once everyone has eaten their popcorn and I am nice and cozy in my chair, I have to stop the movie to dish out seconds. Then, there is argument over whether some kids got more than others. When it is all over, and I look at my family room, it looks like I decided to just throw the container of popcorn to them like I was in a parade giving out candy. It is a mess. Then, I have 12 cups(6 for popcorn, 6 for drinks) and the popcorn pan to clean. Some of you are reading this and you have all kinds of great solutions for each of this problems. I agree. There are probably better ways to do it, and sometimes I fight those battles, but it was not worth it to me last night.

Enough on that rabbit trail. We had our heart-shaped pizzas. The kids were very excited when they saw them. I even had a couple of them come to me and say, "Thanks, mom for doing that." That is so nice when it happens. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside like I have instilled some manners that have seeped out.
Isaiah was not happy in this picture and I have no idea why.
After dinner, it was movie time. We rented Nanny McPhee Returns. It was good, not great. We didn't like it as well as the first one, but I don't regret watching it. It was funny to see the kids pair up to watch the movie.
Lauren and Isaiah sat like this the whole movie
Once the kitchen was clean, I joined Abby and Laila on the big comfy chair
Cody and Sam shared the couch
I got everyone to bed and then had some time ALONE!! It was fabulous. I made breakfast dishes for MOPs, watched some DVR'd shows, read a little, and got to sleep by 11:00(which is really early for me, especially when Rick is out of town). I think this was the first Valentine's Day since Rick and I have been married that we have not been together. I am glad the kids and I could do something to make it a fun night.

No comments:

Post a Comment