Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sam's Bday Date

We took Sam out on his bday date with Rick and me. To our dismay, at first he said he wanted to go to McDonalds. I was not looking forward to that, but had to remind myself that it was his bday, and he could choose. Thankfully, by the time the day arrived, he had decided he wanted to go somewhere he had never been. So, we took him to TGIFridays.
He ordered pizza, french fries, and Dr. Pepper
This boy cracks me up. I asked him several questions on our date. We don't get a ton of one-on-one time with each kid so I really wanted to use the time to get to know him better and give him a chance to talk. Here was a sampling of our conversation:
Me: Sam, is there anything new you would like to try this year?
Sam: (Without even hesitating)Yes, I would like to set a world record.
Me: Really? What kind of a world record would you like to set?
Sam: (Once again, without skipping a beat) I would like to set the record for the most pretzel sticks in my mouth!

Where does this kid even get this stuff?

Then, our conversation progressed to what he wants to be when he grows up. He has a list, and here it is:
1. Professional Wrestler
2. Professional Skate Boarder
3. NFL Player
4. Police Officer
5. Rapper

Well, it looks to me like he is keeping his options open. I am so relieved to know that. I think he should add comedian to the list as well. He really gets a kick out of singing songs like, "I Feel Like a Woman" and "I Feel Pretty" and making us all laugh. He is definitely an entertainer. I hear that he gets quite a few laughs in the classroom as well, maybe too many.

After our dinner, Sam announced, "I could really use some dessert!" So, we headed to Cold Stone Creamery. He ordered a Mega Chocolate Dipped Waffle Cone filled Coffee Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips(Yuck!). He liked it, so that is all that mattered.
He decided the cone didn't taste as good as it looked so he turned it into a toy.
This tradition has really become one of my favorites. I love having some focused time for Rick and I to spend with each of our kids.

1 comment: