Thursday, October 7, 2010

Simplifying, Saving Money, and Even Being Green

We go through a lot of paper plates around here. I do it out of convenience, but it seems like every time I go to buy them, they are more expensive. It is painful to me to see the kids use them, not even have a stain on them, and then throw them away. So, I decided to try to live without them and see how that goes.

Recently, I was at Walmart and found these plates on clearance. 4 plates of the same color for $1.00. So, I bought a set in each color, blue, pink, green, and orange. It was a $4.00 investment, way cheaper than the mega pack of paper plates that I usually buy at Sams. That gives me 16 plates. I have taught the big kids to use them as their "paper plates" and immediately wash them and set them to dry.
So far, it is working well. It feels good to save that money, and as Lauren put it, "Wow, Mom, are we going green?"
We have a long way to go in the green department. Our family of 8 leaves quite a print on our world, but I guess you gotta start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment