Sunday, October 3, 2010

October Challenge

I didn't reach my goal in my Sept. challenge. I did save about $300 in my grocery budget, which feels significant. My freezers and my pantry are less full. So, for Oct., I plan to continue. I want to get that big freezer empty so I can defrost it. I want to make more progress on my grocery budget deficit.

That is just the beginning of what I want to accomplish for Oct.

The word for October is "Simplify". I want to simplify our lives. In light of Rick's job ending as of Oct. 15, we want to use this as an opportunity to evaluate every area of our lives. Honestly, I have been craving this for a while. I feel overwhelmed by the "stuff" of my life. Not just literally things, but the overall clutter of my life(material things, activities, appointments, schedules, messes, etc.). Here is how we plan to do that:

1. Define our values and what our family is going to be about. What do we want to pour ourselves into? What is REALY important to us? Every other area will be affected by the results of this area.

2. Evaluate every area of our budget. Our values will determine how we spend our money. We also want to prepare for less income if his next position pays less or even a time of no income if that happens. I am going to spend money only when necessary this month.

3. Declutter our house. We have too much STUFF. I am tired of being ruled by it. I am tired of being stressed by it. I want to eliminate the excess. Our stuff is causing us more frustration than it is benefiting us. That is a problem.

4. Evaluate our time. We want to live differently. We want to live well. Once we identify our values, we can determine the best use of our time as a family. Rick and I both have realized that our bodies are feeling the effects of our stressful lives. We want to eliminate some of that stress.

I don't expect us to solve all of these issues in one month, but we can't solve any of them if we don't start some time. So, there you have it. We are doing a whole family evaluation! It is exciting to me. I hope we can do just what I said earlier, SIMPLIFY!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need to have a garage sale!! Let us know if you do! Hosanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, you and your family are such examples of Christ. I was just referencing 1 Peter 2:21, and how we, as Christians, are to live by example, that others might see God in us, be drawn to the Truths in His Word, and ultimately find salvation in His Son, Jesus Christ. You, Clapp family, are just that. I am so thankful that you are willing to be who God intends for you to be. Your obedience, patience, faithfulness, will be rewarded so abundantly when your journey here on earth ends. Because of these things, I trust and KNOW that God's provision will overflow into your lives very soon. He rewards those who are faithful to Him. You have done just that. May He clearly lay out the path to His calling on your life! We'll be praying unceasingly for you and yours!!! :)

    ReplyDelete