Tuesday, September 18, 2012

18 Years and Counting...

Yesterday was our 18th wedding anniversary.  It wasn't really an eventful day. We mostly went our separate ways for the day.

Rick scored big points when he greeted me in the morning with a Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate from Starbucks.  With every little sip, I just had to smile and think about him.

After 18 years, he knows me well.  He knows that flowers just don't thrill me.  He knows that I will not truly appreciate the value of jewelry.  I know most women would be enamored by those gifts.  Not me.    I am usually into treats, dinner dates, vacations, or cash.  That is how to make my heart swoon.

We each secretly left each other anniversary cards strategically placed in our respective vehicles proclaiming our love and how thankful we are to have each other as our one and only love!

He spent the day hard at work.

I spent the morning grocery shopping and the afternoon (2 hours to be exact) cleaning my kitchen.

After getting everyone home from sports and dinner served to them, we headed out on a dinner date.  By 9:30, we were heading home thinking how great it would be to get into jammies.  I guess that is what happens when you get older.  : )

It was a time to reflect on our 18 years and dream about the days ahead.  These days that we are living in right now are good and full and very busy.  I feel like we have come out of a very hard season and am excited about what the future holds for us as a couple, for our family, and for our ministry.

If you count our dating years, we have been together half of my life!!  If we live into our 80s, we could still have 40 more years of adventures together.  I know that we have no guarantee of that, and I have become especially aware of that as I have watched some very close friends lose their husbands at much too young of an age.  That makes me all the more aware of how precious every day is with him.

18 years feels good.  It is comfy like my favorite blanket I like to cuddle up in when I watch TV(Actually, that blanket was the comforter that we used on our bed when we got married!  I kind of feel like that blanket at times.  I have quite a bit of wear and tear, but just keep doing what I was made to do. )

Over the last 2 years we have experienced some new freedoms as our bigger kids have gotten old enough to "babysit" the younger ones.  We can go on dates a little more often.  Over the next 10 years, our life is going to change drastically.  Laila will be 14, Isaiah will be 15 1/2 and everyone else will be adults.  I am excited about what that means for us and our relationship.

I love that man with every part of my being.  I am so proud of him.  He is really good at the work that he does.  I love being able to partner with him in ministry, even if it means just making breakfast for his early morning team meeting.  We make a good team in so many ways.  I will take every minute I can get with him.  I pray we will be given even more than 18  more years together!!  
On Thursday night we are going to have a quick overnight getaway to complete our 18th anniversary celebration.  I can't wait to have some time away together!!
Happy Anniversary, Honey Bunches of Oats!

1 comment:

  1. Happy anniversary, Rick & Laura! You are a glowing example of God's love lived out in marriage - I love knowing you! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete