Thursday, September 1, 2011

My September Mantra

I have been struggling with my roles, my relationships, and my life.

When I look at my life, I am completely overwhelmed by it all.

I get into this funk that I can't get out of and really become paralyzed to accomplish anything.

Then, I move into "survival mode" completing what has to be done just in time(tyranny of the urgent), ranting and raving to my kids over the condition of our house or the jobs they didn't complete, and just wanting to shut down completely.

I am committing to live differently in Sept.(I hope it will extend beyond that, but for now, Sept. is all I can wrap my mind around.)

My mantra for this month: "Minute by Minute, Day by Day"

I have broken it down for myself into 3 areas: Body, Mind, Spirit.

I have goals for myself in each of these areas.

Instead of feeling overwhelmed by all of the things about myself that I need to change, I am going to tackle them "minute by minute, day by day."

That is the only way I can conquer some of these areas in my life right now.

I am going to prayerfully and consciously challenge myself, my thinking, my motives, my frustrations, my actions minute by minute, day by day.

Most of the battles that I fight go on inside my head. It is an act of discipline for me to engage and conquer my thoughts rather than letting them take control of my heart.

Another theme that is surfacing in my heart that I need to take minute by minute and day by day is LOVE and FORGIVENESS.

Love myself.
Love my children.
Love my hubby.
Love my life.

Forgive in my heart even when it is not being asked for. Forgive in such a way that I move forward and leave the past behind. Stop keeping a record of wrongs. This is painfully hard for me.

Believe it or not, the pessimist in me struggles with all of these.

So, this month will come and go, but my prayer is that I can choose to live differently and look back to see that choice by choice, I made progress.

It is the first day of this journey. Having a plan and focus gives me purpose.

I know the attacks will come.

I am not naive to the transformation that can occur in me through these choices and the spiritual battle that will result.

I am writing this post to remind me.

My prayer is that I will be a better me, a better mom, a better wife, a better friend, and a better follower of Christ than I was on Aug. 31, 2011.

Minute by minute, day by day.

1 comment:

  1. Have you read One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp (I'm sure finding time to read isn't easy). It really helped me to start keeping a journal of the little blessings that occur each day. I'm still in the process, but it's changing my perspective. I'll be praying for you this month. It's so hard to change our mindsets.

    ReplyDelete