Friday, May 11, 2012

"Using What We Have" Update


In January, I wrote this post.  My goal:  Spending less money, using more of what we already have instead of buying new things, and decluttering.

I can proudly say that as of today, I feel like I have made quite a bit of progress towards this goal.

For the first 4 months of the year, I have not bought hair products(except one product for Isaiah when we were trying to create locs), lotions, soaps, or cleaning products.  This week I made my first purchase because we have literally depleted our reserves.

I have gone through, thrown away, and given away boxes and boxes of stuff that we have in our basement.  I have really tried to be willing to let go of things that I am not using.  I have been able to give away tons of kid's clothes, many household items, and quite a few toys.  I have found some really good causes that could use the stuff that is just sitting in a box in my house.  Really, why am I keeping all this stuff when someone else genuinely needs it and can benefit from it?

I am encouraging the kids to do the same.  If they can complete a project with things around the house, then we can save money and get rid of more stuff.  Abby is a master at finding uses for things that I just see as trash.  She is kind of a "Craft McGyver" of sorts.  We are currently working on her Roman Day costume.  I will share pictures next week when she has it all together.  I have only spent $1.07 on the whole thing

-------------------------------------
On a totally different note, we are preparing for summer around here.  The kids are creating "bucket lists" of fun activities and acts of kindness that we can do for the summer.  I will share those once they are complete.  We have registered for VBS.  We have a trip to KY planned with a mini beach vaca for Rick and me to celebrate my bday.  All 4 of us girls have summer bdays.  There is lots of bday planning going on around here!

Abby is planting a small garden this summer.  She and Rick built a garden bed last weekend.  We are waiting a couple more weeks to plant.  Today is the perfect example of why.  It is in the 40s and rainy.  Not good weather for a freshly planted garden.  I want to make sure we do everything possible to make this little venture successful for Abby.  She is so excited about it.

If you see me in the next couple of days, please don't be alarmed.  I do realize that my eyebrows are out of control and frightening.  If you get too close, they just might reach out and grab you!  When I was looking in the mirror today, I just kept telling myself, "4 more days, only 4 more days."  I am getting them ready for our spa day at MOPs on Tuesday, free eyebrow waxing.  Yippee!!  Lord help me if they run out of time before they do mine.

3 kids are at sleepovers tonight and only 3 are home.  We ordered pizza and had so much leftover.  As we were sitting at the table eating dinner with Sam, Isaiah and Laila, we realized that some day it will just be the 4 of us.  Wow!  That is so weird to even contemplate.  Unless, of course, we adopt those 14 children Isaiah is praying for!

Today was Rick's first Friday off with his new job.  His work schedule is now Sunday-Thursday.  I just wanted to smile all day.  It was so nice.  I have missed having him at home on Fridays.


No comments:

Post a Comment