Saturday, May 5, 2012

Tis the season...

...for field trips!!  

Honestly, I am not a big fan of field trips.  I think it stems back to my two years of teaching 2nd grade.  Field trips were not fun for me as a teacher.  They felt like way more work than the benefit.  I love the opportunity to interact with my children, but I often find that being in charge of other people's children makes the experience not so fun for both my child and me.  It works best for me when I know another mom going so we can lead our groups together.  

 I am willing to acknowledge that the field trips that our school chooses have purpose behind them and provide opportunities for my kids that we might not take advantage of otherwise.  My goal each year is to go on at least one field trip with each child.  Abby had one last week.  Lauren has one this week.  I have already been on field trips with them this year (Abby - "Charlotte's Web" play, Lauren - Cog Railway-my all time least favorite field trip) so I could check those off my list.  Sam's class is only doing one field trip this year.  Since Rick had never been on one with him, and I have done this one, Rick went(yay for me!).  This field trip was to the Littleton Museum.  Basically, it helps the kids see life in the 1800s.  It is all outdoors and they have actual Pioneer homes to walk through along with all the other buildings you would find on a homestead during those time periods.  It is amazing to see the difference between the 1860 home and the 1890 home.  There were some major advances in that 30 year period.  It is one of my favorite field trips.  
These two got to be alone for the day because there were so many parents going. 
Rick said he talked nonstop the whole time.  
 Doing some farming
 Don't you think this kid should do some acting?
 Sam's injury from a horrible peacock attack
 They had nice weather, and it turned out to be a great day for Sam and Rick.

Yesterday, Sam had India day.  I just didn't have it in me to come up with a costume for him since it wasn't required.  Remember it is "hair week" around here.  When I woke up, Sam was dressed like this:
Cody helped him put this costume together.  Sam was happy.  I was overjoyed.   So, there you have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment