Monday, March 12, 2012

Women's Retreat and Reentry

My weekend away was really good. Instead of staying at the women's retreat and risking not getting good sleep and coming back home exhausted, I found a deal at my favorite little getaway hotel and stayed there instead. So, for only a few dollars more, I was able to be a part of the women's retreat but also rest, and have some much needed alone time. The hotel was only 10 minutes away. It really was perfect for me!

I did not take many pictures. I just wanted to fully enjoy the weekend. One of the really great things about the retreat was getting some time with some of my life group friends. My hotel deal came with a dinner voucher. So, 3 of us met before the retreat for a yummy dinner.
Elaina did such an amazing job leading worship all weekend.
She is so talented and led us straight to God in worship.
Comfy couch talk
That's it. That's all the pics I took. I don't regret it. I just needed to rest this weekend. (Resting was actually the theme of the retreat.) There are quite a few pics on Facebook that others have taken. You have to check out the videos of Melissa Janish doing her stand-up comedy routine. She was so funny.

Jen, the speaker, was really good about giving us tools to really soak in God's Word. It was good, so good.

Now, I am home. I went to bed at 7:30(it was really 6:30) last night. I feel like my sickness is over. Laila is not feeling well today, and Cody came home early from school. I went to the grocery, and now I am working on getting our house back in order.

We have been without cable for a little over a month. I must admit, I miss it, deeply. I love being able to watch shows while I am working in the kitchen. I spend a lot of time in there. Having the TV makes it much more bearable. TV is one of my favorite ways to relax. Rick and I have several shows we like to watch after the kids go to bed at night.

While I was gone this weekend, Rick signed us up for Netflix. Isaiah, Laila, and I have loved watching some of the older VeggieTales today. We watched "Rack, Shack, and Benny," "Madame Blueberry," and "Dave and the Giant Pickle." They haven't seen these because we don't have them on DVD. They are from our VHS days. I am bit discouraged about my efforts with Isaiah's character after watching the first two.

First, let me say, they changed "The Bunny Song." It's not nearly as powerful as it used to be. I do understand they didn't want kids saying, "I won't love my mom or my dad, just the bunny." Now it says, "I won't eat my soup or my bread." When it came time to sing the song in the movie, I asked Isaiah, "What do you think they should do?" He said, "I think they should sing the song." Really? I tried to explain to him why they shouldn't, but he didn't see any reason to risk being thrown in the fire over a little song about eating certain foods.

Then, during "Madame Blueberry" I said, "She thinks all that stuff is going to make her happy." Isaiah said, "Stuff makes me happy." I said, "We should find our happiness in God." Isaiah's response was, "No, God doesn't make me happy like stuff does."

Wow, I have a lot of work to do. We are now watching "Dave and the Giant Pickle." Hopefully he will grasp the lesson that "little guys can do big things, too." I need a victory today with at least one of these lessons.


No comments:

Post a Comment