Thursday, March 15, 2012

Visual Lesson

So, I talked yesterday about waiting. I mentioned how hard it is for me and how impatient I am in the midst.

Today, God chose to give me a little lesson on how I handle waiting.

I needed it. It has centered me. It has made me realize how much I don't trust in the waiting.

Isaiah is a challenging little guy. I love him. I wouldn't trade him. He challenges me.

He is VERY IMPATIENT!!

This morning is the perfect example. From the minute he saw me, he began asking for breakfast.

I kept telling him to wait. You see, he didn't know that I was planning to meet a friend at Chick-fil-a and that we would have breakfast there.

I didn't want to tell him because I hadn't confirmed the meeting.

I have learned to NEVER tell him something unless I am absolutely sure that it will happen. If plans he is counting on fall apart, he falls apart. It is not pretty or enjoyable.

So, between the time I saw him and got downstairs to the kitchen, he had asked at least 5 times about breakfast.

The fifth time I said to him,"Isaiah, I. just. need. you. to. wait!" it hit me.

He didn't know what I had planned. He didn't know that I had a better breakfast for him than the cereal he was asking for. He wasn't trusting me.

That is totally how I am with God. I have no idea what He is up to. I don't know the big picture for my life. I just know what I want, and I want it now!

I couldn't reveal my plan to Isaiah until I confirmed it. I didn't want to tease him by telling him we were going to Chick-fil-a and then say, "Oh, wait, never mind. It is not going to work today."

I know the analogy breaks down a bit here because God is not surprised by anything, but He does know the whole plan. He knows the right timing for everything. He has my best interest in mind.

I have to trust. I have to relinquish control. I have to WAIT on Him.

How can I wait in such a way that is glorifying to God? That is what I am trying to do today.

I put this verse on our marker board for the kids last week, and now I am realizing it is just as much for me:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
Lean not on your own understanding,
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will direct your path.
Proverbs 3:5-6

That is what I am choosing to do today.

Trusting and acknowledging HIM!!

3 comments:

  1. Needed this message today. Love everything about it...so, so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Laura! This has nothing to do with your post (which is awesome) but a question about your chore plan you spoke on today at MOPS. My sister has a 3 1/2 year old and an almost 6 year old and I was telling her about you. she was really excited about it. Do you mind emailing me those sheets you were passing around this morning? My email is mccluskeymegan@gmail.com

    sorry I posted this here...didn't know how else to get a hold of you. Thanks!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete