Saturday, August 24, 2013

A Day with My Girl

As part of Lauren's 13th Birthday, I had promised her a girls' day for the two of us.  I had some topics I wanted to talk about with here as she enters teenagerhood and junior high this year.  I also just really love getting some extended one-on-one time with my kids.  She decided she wanted to go to Denver for the day.  
The first and most important stop for this girl was at Starbucks.  She got a Mocha Cookie Crumble Frap.  She truly is a coffee drinker, way more than I ever will be.  I think you are either born with it or not.  I enjoy a cup of "candy coffee" in the morning, but she really likes the taste of coffee!
Carrie, she likes her Hawaii shirt!! 

Since we were at the Starbucks in King Soopers, I also let her pick anything from the grocery store that would be only hers.  My kids love it when I do that.  When you are in a big family, having your very own food item that you don't have to share with anyone is a big deal.  
Look what she chose:
 We had a great drive to Denver with some good conversation.  I was very open with the fact that I had some things I wanted us to talk about like friendships, choices, purity, her relationship with God, our family, etc.  At first it felt a bit forced, but as we both relaxed we had some really great talks throughout the day.  I love this girl so much and especially love it when I get to see into her heart.  I felt like this day provided that opportunity.

We went to the mall and walked through the whole place stopping at the stores that interested us.  I can't even remember the last time I did that.  It was refreshing to be able to take our time.  She also still needed a few uniform items for school.  We were able to find them and they were on sale!!
We spent the most time in Claires
 I am pretty sure we looked at everything at least 3 times.  That's okay.  That is what she wanted to do!  It is her absolute favorite store right now.
Our time ended with a stop at Krispy Kreme.
We even brought some doughnuts home for the others.
 I saw this shirt.  If you know me well, you realize how much I need this shirt! : )
I am so glad we had a day together.  Having really meaningful conversations with my kids takes work and effort.  The craziness of our lives does not lend itself to those moments.  We have to be really purposeful in order to make them happen.

Lauren has a really good head on her shoulders.  I am praying that this year will be one in which her relationship with God goes even deeper, her friendships with others grow stronger, and her place in our family provides the stability and security she needs to make the wise choices for her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment