Friday, October 21, 2011

Pikes Peak Cog Railway

On Tuesday, I went on a field trip with Lauren to ride the Pikes Peak Cog Railway leading up to Pikes Peak. I have shared before that I am not a big fan of field trips. This one proved to be particularly challenging for me to endure for many reasons. I have to remind myself that I do these to build into my kids. It is worth some discomfort on my part in order to invest in them. The funny part is that when it was all over, Lauren commented that she wouldn't want to do it again, either.
This was my first clue that I wasn't going to enjoy this field trip.
It actually ended up being colder when we got up there, -7 windchill to be exact!!
Before the journey
I now affectionately call this thing "Torture Tube Part 2."
(our old Suburban was the first torture tube according to Cody)
Let me just paint a picture for you. Imagine a 1 1/2 hour ride each way, really horrible exhaust fumes, single digit temperatures with negative windchills, over 50 5th graders in one cabin, only 5 adults in that same cabin, windows that open and close, and for me, sitting with 5 boys, one of which had no boundaries all while trying to listen to the conductor share history facts over a microphone that was not very loud. At one point, Lauren looked at me and said, "mom, do you want to switch seats?" She is so sweet, and of course, I said, "no," although it was tempting.

This is the view that inspired the song, "America the Beautiful"
Lauren's class at the Peak
Hot chocolate and donuts were served.
View from the top
My sweet girl
When it was all over, I had a horrible headache. I was so exhausted that I went to bed at 6:00 that night and slept for 12 hours.

My girl was worth it, though. I did it for her. I am glad she didn't have to experience that one alone. We have a memory that we share with lots of things to laugh about!

No comments:

Post a Comment